OT: calculating volume

water tank measures 1500mm * 400mm * 400mm

does that equate to 240 cubic litres (53 ish cubic gallons) ?

thanks Les

Reply to
in2minds

1 litre = very nearly 1000cm^3, so yes it is equal to 240 litres.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yup, agreed. One minor point - you can drop the term "cubic" - litres and gallons are units of volume.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Les,

Litres and gallons are volume measures so leave out the 'cubic' bit and you'll be right.

A litre is 1000 cubic centimetres or a 10cm X 10cm X 10cm cube, so your tank is 240,000 cubic centimetres or 240 litres.

An English gallon is about 4.54 litres so your tank is about 53 gallons. It would be more in US gallons which are smaller.

Just to check - that 1500mm is right? A long thin tank?

Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

Er... 1 litre = very exactly 1000 cm^3

Reply to
Richard Packer

In my line of work there is a lot of difference between 1000 and 1000.083, must remember to learn that this precision isn't really needed when sizing water tanks :)

Thinking about it, that figure was actually from an old reference from a particular experiment, I wonder if perhaps atmospheric pressure was substansially different in it. Being a smart-ass has no doubt back-fired on me!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It is if you want them to fit within a certian space? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Maybe you're thinking about density of water which isn't exactly 1.0g/cm^3. A litre IS exactly 1000 cm^3 though - that's its definition.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Dear all,

Apologies for my idiocy. However, just to show that I can definitively pass the blame on to my old reference material, read this link:

bit like the length of a metre changing I suppose!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Here is an excellent site about the history of measurement showing how things have changed over the last couple of centuries and with all the current definitions.

Baker - Puma Race Engines
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

yes 1500mm, it's to fit under a bench seat in the back of a van

Les

Reply to
in2minds

I blame the French, even though 1964 was a particularly fine year ;-)

Richard Packer

240 litres is a bit long winded. It's roughly one standard wheelie bin (1 WB) which is a much more convenient unit of measurement. We could redefine the litre as 1/240 WB Beer would of course be ordered in 1/422 WB, or 2.36 miliWB
Reply to
asdfasdf

In message , asdfasdf writes

Yeah, I'll watch you doing a "down in one" when you're pissed and miscalculate

Reply to
geoff

Mmm. No way. A liter is DEFINeD s 1000 cm3

HOWEVER unless the water is totally pure and all other things equal, a liter of water may not weigh a kilogram...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's no such thing as a cubic litre and I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a cubic gallon either!

Reply to
blah