OT: Buying Postage Stamps On-line

I think they are unique serial numbers, so fully traceable to the on-line purchase. The serial number is 'live' until scanned by the PO where upon that code is used up. so in answer to the earlier Q you could print several, but only the first one scanned would work.

Reply to
Chewbacca

I thought that quite generous for a print on demand service. When I use my franking machine, the mail has to be in the post box the same day.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Nothing. However, they will all direct the mail to the same destination address and only the first one into the system will be accepted as paid.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Actually, 'print your own postage' generally says that the thing has to be in the post by the end of the next working day, in my experience.

Reply to
Bob Eager

in round figures - CCs are a bit less than one percent, DCs 25-30 pence

so you can see why

Reply to
geoff

There must be millions of combinations of bar code. Everything has one, from a Mars bar to saw bench.

Anyone know how many possible combinations there are? 12 or 13 digits?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Missed that. I don't read *everything*.

Ah, OK.

Reply to
Huge

999 999 999 999 +1 or 9 999 999 999 999 + 1. (Or am I missing something?)
Reply to
Rod

Royal Mail stamps use an IEC 16022 data matrix (2D barcode), which stores vastly more than a (linear) barcode, and can include error correction.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You mean apart from the 6 or 7 different standards ?

Reply to
geoff

I bought one yesterday Fri 28/11 and it has to be posted by 2/12 which is Tuesday which is plenty time imho.I make that by the end of 2 working days Mon and Tuesday

Reply to
fictitiousemail

Retail goods in the EU use the EAN-13 code - 12 digits plus a check digit. The start of the code identifies the manufacturer and the end is free for that manufacturer to use for individual goods. It is simple to register online for a nine-digit manufacturer code - I have one - which gives you

1000 possible products. Larger manufacturers can apply for shorter manufacturer codes and a correspondingly larger number of goods, but those are not issued automatically.

Colin Bignell.

Reply to
nightjar

Sounds like great idea. Although I've used L-Mail on occasion; mailing maybe three to five items per year in that fashion, to all parts of the world.

But. Geez. 3 days! Our Canada Post says it takes 3 to 5 'business days' to move and deliver ordinary mail. And they don't 'guarantee' that! Cost 59 cents (31p) now I think.

Consequently if an item is mailed to me from a point 20 kilometres away, on say a Thursday before a long (Bank holiday) weekend; the holiday usually being held on the Monday ...............

Friday will be Day 1. And four more business days wil be the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the following week. And this is not for the 1400 miles from this province to say Toronto or the 4000 plus miles to Vancouver; it's for mailing time from the next city/town!

So it takes a week!

Glad your UK mail service is still so good; my grandfather worked with GPO. During part of his career, in the 1930s etc. he used to sort mail on the night trains to and from Scotland. I have his retirement gold watch from 1937. He was called back to work during WWII.

Cheers.

Reply to
terry

We no longer have night mails crossing the border Direct debits replaced the postal order The rich use email and the poor use text The corner shop's closed and Woolies is next

(with apologies to WH Auden)

Owain

Reply to
Owain