OT Buying excavators from eBay

I have seen a bobcat advertised on eBay, they want 3K USD for it, including shiping. Its worth neerer 20K GBP.

As with all deals that are too good to be true, I am wondering what the con is. one or two leap to mind

1) stolen - check serial numbers

2) non delivery - leave funds in escrow

any other obvious ones ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

There have been a number of mini-tractors and similar things in scams using stolen accounts on Ebay recently. I mailed Ebay about one of them a couple of weeks ago.

The things that immediately sets alarm bells ringing are:-

Silly price.

Seller asks you to E-Mail them before bidding and then tells you what the fixed price is, there's no actual auction on Ebay.

The payment goes to a (fake) escrow service which E-Mails you, if you investigate where the E-Mail comes from it's *not* a proper, safe, place.

Reply to
usenet

x-posted to uk.people.consumers.ebay: they are wise to every scam there is. Would be helpful to provide the listing number for scrutiny of the listing, but I guess you don't want to publicise it just in case it

*isn't* too good to be true!

david

Reply to
Lobster

Theres also the more mundane fact that it may be utterly and totally knackered.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It was indeed a scam, it was a very bad scam, not even vaguley convincing.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I got a dumper like that, I nearly died when I drove it down a hill to find it had no brakes.

Rick

Reply to
Rick