OT: Buying a telly.

Jamaica Inn was well lit, dark and moody indoors as it would be with only dyaight from windows or candles/fire at night but you could always see the faces.

But it can't do anything for actors that refuse to open their mouths when delivering their lines.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Telling then they'll be called for ADR with no extra fee often works. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Liquorice scribbled...

The BBC used 4k equipment at Wimbledon last year - it was for the US or Japanese market.

Just read in a earlier link in this discussion the BluRay format is up for a change next year. Dunno if that means we'll all have to buy new BluRay players.

Reply to
Jabba

Robin scribbled...

Can they upscale the quality of the programmes?

Reply to
Jabba

Well its been that way there for some years. I did wonder if its a copyright or other rights issue thing. Its not just tv, its radio as well. I think some shops will let you watch a blue ray. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Are you sure it includes Curries? What about PC World. I'd always assumed they were flogging the name of Dixons and that was it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So they don't have to buy a TV licence for each store?

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Currys/PCWorld is the retail trading name of DSG. The whole lot is merging

Reply to
charles

Currys/PCWorld is the retail trading name of DSG. The whole lot is merging

should be DRG

Reply to
charles

Indeed.

There's us, wondering whether it's worth continuing to own a tv...

Reply to
Adrian

OK, so your pics are 10mp or whatever straight off the camera - but will they really look any different when they're downscaled to normal HD res, and you're using 'em as wallpaper from the other side of the living room?

Reply to
Adrian

Is that 8k ready or full 8k?

Reply to
dennis

Good point Brian. If they have broadcast telly/radio on the sets they would have to have PRS licence. If they only have their content shown they will have already sorted out the rights and payments etc..

PRS licencing is not simple how much you pay depends on how long you have TV/radio on, how many are watching/listening, how many places, may even include how many sets are used... etc etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed normal "HD" is only 1920×1080 or tad over 2 M pixels but 4k is

3840x2160 (8.2 M pixels) and 8k is 7680x4320 (33.1 M pixels).
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How do you define a "catch up player" please?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I thin the point is that unless you zoom in to part of the picture, all you can see on an HD set is the 2 megapixels used by the HD display, with possible aliasing artifacts.

Apart from that, one study suggests that the effective resolution of the human eye for central area details suggests about 7 megapixels, but with a resolution over the whole 150 degree visual field of 576 megapixels. This would suggest to me that anything over 4k video when viewed at normal distances is a waste of bandwidth. if, on the other hand, your screen is the size of the wall and wraps round you in an arc...

Reply to
John Williamson

You've got those anyway, unless your camera happens to precisely match the TV's resolution.

Reply to
Adrian

Could they please also merge with Maplin and then take a running nose dive off the edge of the stock market please?

Reply to
Adrian C

Which with the video camera and TV set I have is the case. Excluding compression artefacts, of course,which are a completely different problem, which makes some HD look worse than SD,due to over aggressive compression and low bit rates.

Reply to
John Williamson

Showing broadcast material in a hotel used to require a licence for every 3 sets and may still do so. Does the same rule apply to shops?

Reply to
John Williamson