OT - Buying a house

Yebbut you figured out there was a leak. That's all that matters at this stage.

Reply to
Adrian

Missus's dad, who (before he got too old) was what I think they used to call a jobber, told us to throw a bucket of water down each drain. I found one collapsed gulley that way about 20 years ago, and got a small price reduction. Although it did cause me a day's work, too.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

One of my miscomprehensions was that solicitors should be good at logic - totally eradicated after having more dealings than I would ever want during the past few years.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Not quite literally. The garden is stepped up two levels (it will be our daily exercise to go to the top level and back). Above that are shrubs and overgrown greenery before reaching a flat bit, also overgrown and then the pavement and a road that has been there a long time. It is not at all readily possible to see the house and garden from climbing over the shrubs from the pavement - at least I didn't dare go any further than I did. The whole street (it is a crescent) has houses against the wall and I didn't see anything of concern when I went to the top of the garden. But any rain has to somehow get past the house to the road and hopefully in a controlled way and not underneath.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Also very different to Scotland, where everything's binding much earlier in the process.

Reply to
Adrian

Where is the boundary? Is the quarry wall yours or some else's?

Many quarries have sloping floors. This can create a sump at the edge. In other words, when there's bad weather properties along one edge can flood.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If you're happy to make the largest single financial transaction you will ever make in your life without professional guidance, you go right ahead. Me, I'll get a survey.

Reply to
Huge

I've had surveys pick up stuff and occasionally provide additional info that was interesting.

However, they are not really good value for money. An EICR costs about

1/3 of a full survey and gives you full circuit tests and a sample of inspections. Can still miss things though - but the overall picture is pretty accurate.

Indeed.

And there's really shitty old wiring and wiring with sheaths cut back, bits of lead cable, rubber cable (I have seen both in houses I looked at a few years ago).

Yes - but if you do, you know that you need to look harder. Is it a loose board or a rotten joist?

Disagree. The OP can do that and will get value. But EICRs are about the only reasonable inspection regime I know of, seconded by a drain CCTV (that will tell you if your drains are cracked or full of roots but not if they are merely leaking).

Just saying...

DIY painting vs storage costs? Another "just sayin". if the place is sound but grubby, it could be very attractive to get it hit with a full inside paintjob just before you move in rather than spin it out for months. If it is OK-ish, then not.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good idea.

When I replaced my gutters, I found none of the drains worked. They were OK in light rain and in heavy rain there was so much water running around it was hard to see them overflowing (it just backed out the pipe at ground level and ran along the concrete with the rest of the water.

I bought a USB camera on a 5m cable and did a DIY survey. Rebuilt 2 working drains and engineered the guttering to only need those two.

Reply to
Tim Watts

sclaimers that leave more or less nothing of value. If examination has reve aled no signs of structural problems, no flying freehold, the taps work etc , what really will a survey add. Other than interpreting some structural is sues the rest its not hard to check yourself.

Sometimes I am. I've done very well in life by not following the profession als. Proper assessment is always wise.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I doubt an EICR would change my mind re purchasing a house. Whether the wiring's modern or archaic might, but a naked eye can see that easily.

or just a light but safe structure

If you want. House buying is usually a money-tight time though, so usually a good time to diy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"The wiring is in urgent need of attention" which upon questioning meant a full rewire was recommended. Turned out it was required by the insurance, and when I found live rubber wire under the thatch I agreed.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In message , AnthonyL writes

Lots of useful advice so far. I'll add a few general thoughts, although a lot depends on how well you know the area prior to buying.

Try to visit the area/house at different times of day/days of the week. Roads only busy at certain times? Do the local chavs circle the area late at night, exhausts and radios blaring? On the route home from local pub/chip shop? Gangs of teenagers congregate nearby, just on Friday night? Next door neighbour parks his HGV outside? Etc.

Orientation of the house? Will the garden be in shadow six months of the year?

Parking? Road full of cars? Off road? Space for your car(s), trailer, camper van, caravan, boat, whatever?

Solicitors. Much has been said about modern conveyancing firms. I prefer a solicitor who has been in business and in the area for years. He will know things. He will be aware of anything that is just an idea at present, but may come to fruition later.

Reply to
News

Everyone I know has used the same fixed price solicitors

Cheap, efficient, and you won't find them at lunch on completion day. I've known removal lorries parked up in lay bys because some provincial solicitor has screwed up on the big day. Surveyors are a waste of money, especially the ones in suits with no ladders

Reply to
stuart noble

We were advised to avoid completion on a Friday in case of problems and finding a solicitor in the chain can't get it sorted by, wants to bugger off for, the Weekend.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And another.

Reply to
Huge

True - but there are surveyors who actually go into roof spaces and have ladders.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Dead end estate, (shouldn't have used the word dead), full of retired folk. Apparently there is a teenager somewhere on the street. I used to live nearby and didn't even know it existed despite being within walking distance of most facilities.

Good point, front facing S but being a bungalow and rear garden raised there is good light generally.

Yes, most seem to get 2 or 3 cars on the drive.

Both the solicitor I contacted and the surveyor know the street and the type of dwelling. Surveyor already flagging up flat roof before even going there. They manage a letting just up the road.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Mine has got a ladder and will also crawl into loft space - well so he says. Seems an "old school" type.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Same price as mine. My sister used him and he stayed behind till 8pm to make some arrangement with her.

Reply to
AnthonyL