OT but someone here might know

BigWallop explained on 18/08/2009 :

That gave me an idea....

Caravans use 12v DC water pumps, some of them designed to work inline with the pipe, others intended to fit at the dipped into the water end of the pipe. Flow rates are enough for a shower, but lifting height will be limited - say around two meters.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Its far and away teh best way to power stuff. Get a trailer socket fitted, run the engine to charge the battery and use 12v.

If you need 230v, maybe a rotary converter?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote: >

Guys, this is a 2CV. Modern car? And aren't they 6 volts??

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ

on 18/08/2009, Andy Champ supposed :

Oh, OK...

Jack wheel up, remove wheel, fit a length of drive shaft bolted the wheel studs - driving an Archemedes screw pump :oÞ

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Typical vehicles may well have 6v electrics. I've not seen inverters that work on 6v systems. In anycase i want the mechanical effort off the road wheels to directly drive a pump.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Many 2cvs have 6v volt electrics

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Now we are getting back to where i want to be apart from not taking the wheel off. Friction drive to pump.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Submersible pumps are available for 6 volts as well.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Doubt there's many left outside classic car circles.

Because of the above.

There are many reasons why this ain't the best way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Despite all the naysayers I still reckon this idea has legs. Average small car must develop 50hp +? Thats going to run a hell of a lot more than any inverter ever could.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As I menationed earlier, if you have enough wheel studs then you can make up a flange to do this - maybe drill it so some of the wheel nuts help locate it, but take a couple of nuts off and use those to bolte the flange to the wheel hub.

Couple of UJ's and a short bit of shaft from the flange to the pump, and you're done.

Eliminates dangerous rollers, eliminates the gearing-up effect of tyre against rollers, takes up less space, has some frictional advantages etc.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I suggest you swap the 2CV for a steam traction engine then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not a 2CV.

AND certainly NOT running static with no airflow round the engine.

In the 1973 days we had a 2L cortina engine driving a 5Kw genny. (about

8bhp) it died and was replaced with a perkins Diesel. That managed it.

You need to derate a LOT for 24x7 static operation. Definitely the easiest thing to do is too get a 6v brushed motor and attach it to a pump and drop it down the hole and pump with that. Most electric motors of that sort of voltage are fully capable of running immersed in fresh water.

I dunno how much head they can pump against though,

The alternator should be capable of a few amps at least.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

30bhp.

You'd be fine - the fan generates enough cooling whilst the engine's static, assuming the oil cooler's kept properly cleaned.

I'd be more concerned by running it with just one wheel acting as a PTO - that's going to put a lot of unusual load on the diff.

Buying (or making - a 2cv engine in a cradle with the flywheel driving a pump directly...?) a cheap petrol generator seems like a much better plan to me.

Reply to
Adrian

A shear-pin might be a good idea.

Reply to
Sn!pe

TBH a 'motor and prop on a pole' like they use in the far east sounds the best of all.

But I take issue that a cars fan is enough to keep it cool at full power or anything like it.

In fact on cheap cars, full power is often not catered for even with the car at speed. Auxiliary fans are there to keep the engine cool at idle when the car is stationary.

Which is why the whole idea is really impractical. You need to locate the car securely, arrange auxiliary cooling, do something about the Diff and locking three wheels wheel, and arrange a complex mechanical power takeoff.

That's why we invented electricity. Its so much simpler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not at idle. Indeed many are close to stalling. Putting a large extra load on the engine would often need adjustments.

If you've ever seen the way a car leaps around on a rolling road when conducting full power tests you'd be wary about trying it on one set of unsecured rollers...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Where is it storing all the energy needed to make it jump around?

Reply to
dennis

Rotational inertia in the wheels.

You think cars are bad, try trucks...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Doubtless the natural spring from the tyres make it bounce a lot...

Reply to
Jules