OT: Bus drivers and running engines

My son catches the bus to school. Every morning we arrive to find the bus sitting there, engine running, doors open.

I know the driver doesn't pay for his own fuel, but really! Can anyone explain such behaviour? Is it really so onerous to turn the key twice?

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

Keeps the engine, driver, and passengers warm in the winter, and the air con running in the summer.

Reply to
John Rumm

There has been talk of making it illegal to leave an engine running while parked, don't know what became of this idea. Our local bus station has signs saying this, but drivers ignore it.

Reply to
Broadback

It's common with all trucks and vans. Dunno why. Although few drivers stop their engines in traffic queues, etc too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Broadback coughed up some electrons that declared:

's all well and good, but what happens when it's illegal to run your house at more than 18C? It's only a couple of logical steps away.

I cannot believe for an instant that the percentage difference enforcing the engine running thing will make could possibly be more that infinitesimally trivial compared to the rest of the cars on the roads.

And to quote from one article:

"any other situations that we decide is acceptable. This could be to allow someone to defrost a windscreen or cool down on a hot day for a few minutes."

Oh yes - the "let's make it up as we go along" approach. Council "policemen" love this - inflates their ego to compensate for their tiny willies.

sigh...

Reply to
Tim S

Under The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002 a driver of a vehicle that is stationary on a road may be requested by an authorised officer to stop the vehicles engine

Owain

Notice it does not apply to dustcarts! Which just happen to be the noisiest and probably smelliest (exhaust-wise!) vehicles to come down our service road.

(However the actual worst offender is a small motorbike. The rider seems to jump on it and rev it for five minutes producing clouds of black. And similar on later return. But all within their back yard. So, I am assuming, not included.)

Also, loved the bit about being able to issue fines to the same driver repeatedly. Invokes the image of an official dishing out tickets as quickly as he is able...

Reply to
Rod

Partly to keep the driver warm and partly to keep the air brakes useable. The brakes are applied until air pressure is built up to whatever level and then they can be released.

Reply to
John

Merton council use LPG powered ones. As quiet as a petrol engine and no discernible smell from the exhaust. Not that you'd notice anyway.;-) I've often wondered why it isn't universal for city buses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's why they have reservoirs. You don't need to run the engine continuously.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As does my local bus terminal stop. I was told by a lorry driver that they keep engines running to top up batteries.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

you will be less likely to run it at 20 and we wont have to suffer so many overheated houses, the US could do with a maximum minimum temp too, or is that minimum minimum?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

I see from the brochure that new 3 series BMW's stop the engine when you stop and start it again as you press the clutch, wear and tear worries me a bit.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

this is uncanny, as I read your post Mad Boris ("Mad" for the sake of equality with Ken) is on BBC London saying he wants to get a green design going, personally I'm very attached to them being red. (Sorry) I have seen some (hydrogen cell?) ones in central London that just exhaust water

Reply to
clumsy bastard

clumsy bastard coughed up some electrons that declared:

My wife's Mini (also BMW of course) does that too. It's actually very disconcerting. Fortunately they provide a little button to turn it off.

Can't help feeling that it will wear out the starter motor.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

clumsy bastard coughed up some electrons that declared:

And (with all due respect) you have the right to tell me how warm my house is, how exactly?

Solve the core problem and build more nukes.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Buses in Manhattan run on LPG or methanol. It's noticeable how much cleaner the air is there than in Londown.

Reply to
Huge

Me? None. The elected govt? Quite a lot in a democracy. It will happen for the same reason all sorts of anti waste or pollution rules will come in.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

that's my worry too.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

That's just daft - telling people how warm they can have their house is entirely different to making different arrangements for waste collection. Were anything to be done it would be via stepped fuel prices (for a particular house you get the first so many units at one price and they ramp up after that). Otherwise some people would use fuel to keep the house at a temperature and others insulation - if people insulate well they should be able to be toasty warm whatever the rules are.

That's aside from the fact that an unenforceable law is de facto a bad law (poll tax, Part P etc) irrespective of any other merits it might have.

Reply to
Bob Mannix