OT - bulk mailer software (for club)

Once written, they're easy enough to run. But yes, maintenance of the code is a different thing. But note that in this case, the addresses are in a text file, not in the script, if that's what you were worried about.

I can certainly recommend playing with PowerShell. For very high level scripting, it is simply awesome. I use it for everything now - it can even create a GUI, although each control has to be created, sized, and positioned in code.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Yes, a Google Group as a mailing list is quite effective, I'm on several and am the administrator for one (or is it two?).

Reply to
cl

Mail Chimp seems to be doing the business so far.

I can set up a mailing list, send out emails, and also put a link to the list on a web site.

However I do understand the negative comments about the User Interface.

I managed to work my way through it because I am IT literate (as long as there are pictures) and I know what I expect the system to do.

So when things aren't immediately obvious I have a poke around until I find the bit I need.

Those with significantly less experience might struggle.

Comprehensive documentation required {sigh}.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

OK - understood... The ability to track opens was just a tiny part of the overall 'positives'.....

As I say - I've used it for a while (the web interface used to be a bit difficult to navigate but they've improved that considerably). I find it much easier than the old php-script setup I used for a while - and some of my clients have adopted it & like it.

Plus it's free (for smaller lists).

Sadly - I'm on on commission

Adrian Brentnall

If that's the only list of email addresses you have, fair enough.

If you have some other list as well (for individual contact rather than bulk mailings), things could start getting complicated. Though it might not be too bad with so few members.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Even if a mail is delivered it may have been sorted automatically into the spam folder and never have been seen.

Reply to
alan_m

David

I'm in a similar position in that I'm helping to run a small club. At present I do mass emails via a shell script and blat, but it isn't easy to manage, so have considered MailChimp but, as you say, reactions vary widely so I haven't not taken the plunge yet.

When you've tried it yourself could you post a follow-up (or email me privately, the address at the top works though it may look as if it is dummy).

Regards

Reply to
Clive Page

Just a suggestion. Create a freelists mail list with all the recipients as subscribers but posting only allowed by you, then send the post to the list. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Then it wouldn't look to the mailer like it had been read.

Reply to
GB

So far so good.

I have set up a test list and am sending messages.

Subscription via a web link also works.

I am fighting with some tracking stuff - if I add a link to the message then it gets wrapped in a tracker so the site can report back when the link is clicked. This is fine for marketing statistics, but might be a little disconcerting for simple mail list recipients.

I am using text only email at the moment because the delivery tracking is via an invisible call back picture in the email. Again this might arouse concerns if the web browser or email client reports this and asks if pictures should be allowed.

The interface is a little obscure in places but not too bad.

Certainly worth signing up for and setting up a test mailing list.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Read and delivery receipts used to be a black art.

MTAs would often report delivery when they accepted responsibility for the email, then leave it up to the client to choose to send/not send a read receipt.

Clients also variable in how they handled receipts - in theory they should ask.

So no 100% guarantee that a delivery and read receipts will be sent.

A delivery receipt may well just mean it has got as far as the local ISP.

In general, a read receipt does strongly indicate that the email has been opened in an email client. No eyeball tracking to prove it has been read. Not at all sure what happens (should happen) if you select a number of messages and "mark as read".

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Here's another option: A webpage for your group with some kind of blog - really any blog, say blogger.com or a simple self hosted php system. Blog posts are converted to RSS and RSS to email, so making a blog post automatically generates an email to your list. Members can subscribe and unsubscribe themselves on your site. It should run itself.

There are a lot of ways to do rss to email: feedburner, mailchimp, nourish...

TW

Reply to
TimW

Not sure of the benefits over just using Mail Chimp.

Once the list is set up then (un)subscribe is handled by the users.

All that is needed is to create a new "Campaign" and send it out each time you have something to share.

If you could send an email to Mail Chimp and have it automagically sent out to the list that would be good, but I haven't found that feature yet.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Eh? I thought that was the whole point.

Reply to
cl

So far I have been crafting a "Campaign" or mail shot on the site.

This is a tool for sending out targeted emails to a distribution list (also known as SPAM).

As far as I know it is not intended to be used as an old style Mailing List which is the traditional alternative to a Usenet news group or IRC chat. That is, anyone can mail into the list server and the email is distributed to all list members. There are special subject lines and body parts for subscribing and unsubscribing.

This is just (as far as I know) a web site where you can prepare the monthly news letter and then send it out to everybody on your list.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David
[snip]

I use it to run several lists (internal and external) for the local Museum. The ability to tailor the address lists (add fields like phone number) helps admin. The tracking is useful (to see who's read it), the unsubscribe function keeps people happy, and the survey/poll function is great (arranging a meeting for 60 people, click on a link to select your chosen day, and collate the responses, and show who has picked which day: magnificent saving on how we used to do it and gets a much beter response than 'plase e-mail back with your choice').

Reply to
Allan

Thanks!

Hadn't even realised it had a poll function.

One of my tasks is to try and organise a poll over topics for the meetings.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

See

I use the coffee example and edit it. Didn't take too much to get it to work. The response rate is much better than e-mailing replies: people seem to be better at clicking on a link to give an answer than e-mailing back, and it's useful that Mailchimp collate/tabulates the responses!

Reply to
Allan