OT BT broad band

d) redirect the dns to your own server. spoof screwfix's site. Grab details of hacker. Play havoc with ed's account.

Reply to
dennis

[snip]
[snip]

My SFR broadband box seems to be designed to be set up as a hotspot, but I haven't got my head round the french instructions about finding other similar hotspots when I'm out and about.

John

Reply to
JTM

Having gained net accessI usually do a few sanity checked before launching into a screwfix order.

1) check out my IP address and the gateway see they are plausible. 2) Have a quick look at the news on google. 3) a quick look at "what's my IP" to check that all seems plausible.

Spoof screwfix's site is a non trivial exercise!

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The technique is to pass most of the request through to the target site and only peep inside the important bits, like the login. I believe you can download the code to do this stuff if you don't want to write it.

Reply to
dennis

Was the same around the Menlo Park/Palo Alto/Mountain View/Sunnyvale area about 4 years ago. May well still be, but I haven't tried it out recently. I think there are free muninciple schemes in the area too. All hotels offer it free -- no point in doing anything else. Many of the tech companies in the area offer it free/unencrypted to the street outside. It's a way of making it clear to their users it's not secure (your responsibility to run a VPN or IPsec if you want security), and making sure they aren't held responsible for the use it's put to, which they can be if they try securing it and it gets abused.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel