OT BT broad band

I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The following link may give you an insight into BTs vision of world domination. ;-) The home hub does seem a decent piece of kit, though.

Howard Neil

What a shame that BT stole the code that they run on the Home Hub.

Reply to
Steve Firth

internet for anyone with the right software... 8-).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I presume the "free line" is a VOIP line using the hub... but still probably ok. The hardware is ok. BT as an ISP are in the mid range regarding customer support etc.

Is that 12.99 over and above you line rental, or inclusive? If the latter, its nothing special price wise.

Reply to
John Rumm

You mean you pay =A312.99 one off for everything? No line or BB rental? = Bite their hand off. B-)

What does "free line thrown in" mean? No installation charge, but you ha= ve a line already... No line rental or line rental included in the =A312.9=

9 that also includes BB rental?

The big gotcha is probably that low rental for three months then it reverts to real line and BB rental rates for the remainder of the your minimum 12 month contract.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, look at the title of the newsgroup, stop posting off topic rubbish and go elsewhere. No one is really interested in who telephones you.

Reply to
Clive

Thats why the OP (a regular and positive contributor to the group, unlike you) marked the post 'OT' f****it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Howard Neil writes

internet connection. One step back from *home* on my mobile and it is trying to connect me!

I can understand the concept of diffuse connection but the idea of users blocking my field gateways because my postcode shows a hub is not encouraging.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes.

I guess above. I was a little terse as I don't care for pushy mid evening saleswomen.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think it is just a short term modest discount off their normal charge.

VOIP as others have mentioned. Something in the small print about 8p set up charge. Apart from Tony B, I don't know anyone in Australia or elsewhere in the world that I would want to speak to anyway.

Too right.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A friend has one of those It's useless. Almost every call results in one end or the other hearing nothing but noise.

Reply to
Doki

AIUI as you are an existing customer of BT they CAN call you for sales or any other purpose unless you have specifically asked them not to. I don't believe that TPS applies if you have a relationship(?) with a company.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:48:01 +0100 someone who may be Tim Lamb wrote this:-

As someone has said, the existing customer exemption. However, if you told the pushy saleswoman that you no longer wish to be bothered by their spam telephone calls they should not call you again. When they do, complain about their illegal activities, though as this is just one of their many illegal activities it may not make any difference.

Reply to
David Hansen

i'll stick to my Be broadband thanks, £13.50 a month for 8 megs service (i'm almost 2 miles from my exchange, BT told me i'd be lucky to get 512k from them, i get 6.7 megs with Be)

if i lived closer to the exchange, i could pay £17.50 a month for upto 24 megs.

Reply to
gazz

Ed, you have me worried now. I have just checked that I have the Mk 2 version. What is the problem with them?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Peter Andrews writes

I try to find the box to tick for *no adverts* when signing up for anything nowadays.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Do not despair! If you tell BT that you no longer wish to have marketing or sales calls from them they are obliged to comply. If they do not then they are breaking the law.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I don't see them as a problem 8-).

I my experience about 10% of WiFi routers are completely open. Although only about half of those are connected to the internet. The best locations are houses converted to flats, short front gardens. About 40% are lightly encrypted with WEP (40 or 104 bit makes little difference). About 50% are beyond unauthorized use using WPA encryption or better. BTHomeHubs account for about 50% of the WEP encrypted WiFis.

1) In some cultures (NY City, I'm told) it is common practice for a large proportion of people with broadband and Wifi routers to leave them open so that everyone has easy access to the internet. Whether this will lead to a whole raft of freeloaders... I dunno.

2) With the right software you can soon (

Reply to
Ed Sirett