OT Britain spends more of foriegn floods than our own.

Well, maybe, but one has to remember that we have only quite recently had a lot of floods. Some other countries always have them and do not have the resources to help those affected by them. The problem in this country seems to be that no matter what you are talking about, be it graters, snow ploughs, flood mitigation etc, the cry always is that we do not get enough of it to make it cost effective to be prepared. How you answer that one is hard to say, but to me it seems that in the end if we want something we have to pay for it. If it ends up being grossly uneconomic then you need to change where you build houses and industry, and in the case of cold weather do what other countries do, put chains on your car wheels or have two sets of tyres, or just work from home! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Have we had more floods or it it just with the introduction of 24 hour news services with very little else to report every little flood is reported as a major event?

Very rarely does somewhere new flood. Even with the latest batch of reports the floods are far from unique events for the area and they must be expected if houses are built in a flood plain or on a river bank.

While not too good for those who are flooded out the number is the thousands from a population of 60 million! The news isn't that 99.9% of the population are not flooded.

Reply to
alan_m