OT Britain's electricity supplies at risk due to closure of coal-fired generators

Domestic multifuel stoves derate with wood burning vs coal but I presume on an industrial scale burner there is plenty of space for it.

Can you in practice throw in enough biomass though?

If it uses ~36kT coal when flat out then it would need at least 3x that weight of wood chips, 2x air dried and 1.5x oven dried biomass for the same calorific output (based on back of envelope numbers).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Nope. If your security is easily subverted by people who know what it is, then it was shit security in the first place.

Good security can't be easily got round, even by people who know what it is.

"I've got a big lock, and there's a spare key under the fourth flowerpot from the left" is security through obscurity.

Reply to
Adrian

No he is right. The first level defences should not be discussed since they will easily catch the naive. Second level defences likewise - if an attacker doesn't know what they are up against then the defender still retains an advantage. If you hand the attacker detailed plans with weak spots marked in red then you have done part of their job for them!

There may be a few intrinsic weak spots that you really can't do much about but you don't have to advertise them to all and sundry. Dam buster weapons like the bouncing bomb exploiting the stored potential energy of large German reservoirs for instance. IRA went after the natural gas facility near Warrington but couldn't get it to go bang.

Famously dumb American "intelligence" officials boasting on CNN about how they were tracking OBL by his satellite phone transmissions is a classic example of why you should not talk in public about security.

Equally if you advertise your capabilities too widely the enemy will realise that you have broken their encryption. Enigma decoding in WWII had to let some things go to avoid the German high command being able to work out that we were reading almost all their traffic.

One problem with Snowden is that anyone worth their salt will now be aware of GCHQ intercept capabilities which were very impressive.

The big lock will still put off most opportunists. Ultimately if an expert wants to break in to your premises there is very little you can do to stop them - you can merely make it less attractive than next door.

The Hatton Garden burglary is a prime example of that.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thank you Martin.

Similarly the Labour MP, in the middle of the Faulklands war, saying in the House something like:

"How could you not know they were planning this. When we were in power we were reading all their secret communications".

Reply to
newshound

well actually it is.

And open door that no one knows exists is a lot more secure than a locked one in plain sight

That phrase was invented by someone trying to sell you (expensive) door locks...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 actually seems a fairly balanced article, for Wiki..

The first rule of Fight Club...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When Drax got BM reports to move their wood fired boilers to 'other' rather than 'coal' the actual output seemed the same as when they had been coal.

i.e. right now Gridwatch is showing 2GW of biomass, and that is more or less 2 of the 4 drax boilers and turbine sets.

Yup. And there is some info on the drax site about how they have achieved that in terms of new rail wagon design and so on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No it isn't.

I have a secret door that no one knows about that leads into the place where the valuables are' is security by obscurity.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had chubb locks everywhere, but of course an electric jigsaw plugged into the outside power socket would have gut through the rendered walls in no time flat..

..the house before that, they didn't bother with the locks, Just jemmied open a window.

They took some cheap flashy camera gear, and a monitor and keyboard, but left the rack mounted computer with the irreplaceable data.. ..and the incredibly expensivene camera gear with brand names they didn't recognise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wouldn't need such high tech now. A friend who's working on building afford able homes told me how someone broke in by using a stanley knife to cut thr ough the cardbaord corridor rather than break the double glazzed door leadi ng to the appartments. But I guess at about 200K for a 1 bed flat should yo u really expect more than a cardboard wall for that money in London ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

I know of intercept stuff that Snowden didn't know. GCHQ can do far more than you think.

The police can do intercepts like Snowden claimed and they could do that when I worked in telecoms years ago.

I laugh when they tell someone to keep them talking while they trace calls on TV.

Reply to
dennis

They were probably kids. The computer was unsaleable. The expensive camera gear was also unsaleable. The cheap stuff probably got them a fix.

A "professional" thief would have contacts and be able to sell the expensive stuff.

Just think yourself lucky they didn't break the disks with your data on.

Reply to
dennis

That depends on who is looking for a door.

A locked door that no one knows about is better security.

Reply to
dennis

No it doesn't.

well yes, but that's not the point is it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, they were in fact three 'debt collectors' from Kings Lynn. They got 8 years apiece for robbery with violence. On of their targets had a woman and baby in it when they broke in.

WEll exactly. Its was 'obscure'

They were professional thieves BUT pro stuff is still unsaleable - too small a market place

No reason too though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mandela did just that.

and

He didn?t.

Try telling Mandela that.

Reply to
Orange

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

You seemed to have picked up Harry's habit of posting or commenting links without actually reading them

Reply to
bert

Not surprising as none of them understand anything at all about electricity generation or distribution.

Reply to
bert

In article , Chris Hogg writes

You mean not enough of them to support the idiot Germans who closed down their own in a panic.

Reply to
bert

In article , Chris Hogg writes

But it has to come out of the sea at some point.

Reply to
bert