OT: Breathalysers

I just know that there are going to be swathes of folk saying "don't drink and drive", but, ignoring those for the moment, does anyone have any experience of personal breathalysers?

There seem to be a number of different technologies used and I'm guessing that those that use fuel cells are probably better. I'm not too concerned with having one that's stable over months/years, more one that will give me reasonably accurate results for long enough for me to determine my own safe limits.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

As drinking doesn't have a drop of the cliff effect there is no safe limit. There is a range depending on what you are doing and the risks increase as you drink. The current drink drive limit is probably about twice the risk for most people due to the increasingly poorer judgement people have as they drink.

Reply to
dennis

First useless reply. Thank you.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes it also depends on what you ate and when, what you did since you drank, and all sorts of thther things. I believe that soon, with the better tech around now that lower limits will be set, as for example Females are often drunker on lower levels than some men.

Its the wrong way to look at it as safe limits, you need to look on it as a sliding scale that can vary for anyone on a given day, and the point is, don't drink and drive, fly planes operate dangerous machinery etc, at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Assuming you live a normal diurnal lifestyle, do you ever drive in the afternoon or evening?

We all do of course, even knowing our judgment is impaired compared to the morning.

Tim doesn't disclose if he's talking about road safety, or safety from prosecution.

Reply to
Graham.

The recent consumer tests showed that all of them are very inaccurate.

Reply to
Capitol

What recent consumer tests - or should that be Which?

Reply to
TT

Can I be third after you?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I find it a lot easier to simply not drink at all when I'm driving. I'm not preaching at you, I'm just saying that I find it easier and less worrying. I can't be arsed with just drinking a little bit and then wishing I could drink some more. There's lots of extremely palatable non-alcoholic drinks to put in your glass at a social occasion. It's just easier to not drink at all. And it's a joy when you get stopped and breathalysed.

Another thing is that after a long evening if you haven't been drinking when you get out in the fresh air you feel dead sharp, and your driving is good.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's because you got a weak mind Wodders. But then we all knew that.

Reply to
harryagain

I tend to only have a "half" if driving soon after - that has no effect on me.

A pint is almost certainly still legal, but as I can feel the effects I would not drive unless it's something trivial like reparking the car.

If I had 2 pints, I usually assume I will be over the limit - or pretty close to being so.

Reply to
Tim Watts

ITYM "legal limit", rather than safe.

I'm not going near the question of how safe and legal relate to each other, but one thing's for sure - there isn't a 100% "79=safe,

81=dangerous" (or 49/51 if you're Scottish) line that applies to everybody...
Reply to
Adrian

Not a problem in my van. I have TWO can holders. That makes it possible to drink snakebite without a glass to mix the drinks:-)

Reply to
ARW

That's pretty much my assessment too but rather than guess it would seem sensible to actually be a little scientific about it if possible. In particular, to study the effects of eating and time on blood alcohol.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Reply to
Tim+

I hope that is a Guinness snakebite...

Reply to
Tim Watts

To simply say "don't drink and drive" doesn't address the "morning after" problem. I'll bet many folk who repeat this mantra may have been significantly affected the next morning when they have driven.

I just want to find out whether my current practice which I consider acceptably safe brings me anywhere near the new lower limits.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That needs a glass!

Reply to
ARW

I think the problem may be that the ones the police use at the roadside are not that accurate and hence the second test at the police station with calibrated equipment.

I had one when a single long blow into it would light one of 5 LEDs. My verdict very unreliable - just a toy.

To add to the debate the highest number drivers over the limit are the "school mums" picking up their kids after a lunch with wine. That's why you see so much bad driving and parking outside schools at that time of day.

Reply to
alan_m