OT Body armour - stab proof vest

More like SE1

With all the shift work & unsocial hours pay & overtime she about doubles that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No shortage of applicants thanks to the TV shows. Great shortage of 'suitable' applicants. Actually very hard to get through the selection process, but it not a job you do for the money, like many NHS jobs.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Does that apply to NHS management as well?..

We've got a "Patient experience director" in our local hospital;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Not a lot even so, is it?

Does it improve with age, otherwise what are the advancements?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not for what she does, no. Not a job you do for the pay rates.

Currently she is an Emergency Medical Technician Grade 3 to use LAS terminology, next step is a 6 week residential course to become a full blown Paramedic. They then get an extra few grand a year.

I'd say her current level of training is easily degree standard, paramedic is equivalent to a masters or whatever. Except with pass rates of 86% + to qualify.

Only about 20% of LAS front line staff are actual paramedics, most are EMT2 & above.

She can administer 18 drugs, paramedic can give 27 (the extra 9 being mainly morphine based). She can't canulate or intubate a patient despite being a qualified phlebotomist, only a paramedic can do that.

She doesn't want to go into management, she wants to remain operational (or useful as she calls it).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Something at least. In the days when ambulance staff were little more than glorified taxi drivers, those kind of figures might have been reasonable

That's very disappointing. They all should be if they are doing emergency work.

I can kind of understand these. IANAD, but have had both procedures recently plus a large number of phlebotomy visits. Dealing with a canula involves avoidance of air introduction and use of saline to keep it open as I recall. Not that it's difficult, AFAICS, but I think I would someone who knows what they are doing.

Intubation is another thing entirely. Proper maintenance of airway is obviously vital. I think that I would want someone well qualified dealing with that, even in an emergency situation.

Let's hope she remains an idealist in this sense. One of the reasons that I am so anti the current NHS setup is that it doesn't reward in the right places. It's a pity that reward isn't based on outcome, although that's probably not practical. Even so, it's very clear to me that ambulance paramedics can make an enormous difference to outcome and so they really ought to be rewarded for that. Granted, as you say, one doesn't go into this for the money, but this does not give the employers the right to exploit.

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

A massive amount of CCTV DVDs showing him in action have been sent to the relevant people. There have also been official complaints made by his other next door neighbour and the guy across the road from him. It will not get him sectioned but it will get him evicted.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

One way to realy piss her off is to call her an ambulance driver!

EMT's are very highly trained, you wouldn't need to worry about being treated by them. It takes a lot of time & training to become a paramedic.

The Guvmint targets make you laugh. Category 'A' calls (life threatening) have o be attended within 8 mins from 'reciept' of call (even if it took 3 mins for the controller to calm the person down enough to actually get the address),

If they arrive in under 8 mins & the paitent dies, its counted as meeting the target, if over 8 mins & the patient lives its a failure!

You couldn't make it up.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, the fashion stuff (and the RF shielding clothing) is made of kintted wire, not chainmail. It has almost no impact resistance, especially as it's often made of soft wire.

If you want, you can make your own. Normal domestic knitting machines will knit quite happily with enamelled copper wire.

If you want chainmail, then get chainmail. It's very cheap these days. An Indian-made Hauberk for re-enactment or LARP purposes costs less than one UK-made butcher's chainmail glove. You can get riveted rings (which are pretty pointed-blade resistant) for some amount more, or even titanium chainmail. Wearing dark iron chainmail on a hot day is the best reason ever to buy titanium!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

*May* be illegal!

May be a bad man.

Reply to
dennis

just as well, the phlebotomist training can be given to anyone and is only a few hours.

Reply to
dennis

I know. That's why I didn't use that word.

Oh dear. Wrong measurements.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Lesser mortals don't start out with your knife skills.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The point being she worked as a phlebotomist for two years, so she is not just qualified but also experienced.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

An experienced phlebotomist is still a phlebotomist, you wouldn't want one to canulate you and certainly not intubate.

The receptionist at my wife's doctors is a trained and experienced phlebotomist BTW, she gets an extra 30p an hr while taking blood.

Reply to
dennis

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Going by the description there, it says something about "no filler" - could this be the armour that's missing ?

For £50, it looks like you can get ex-police body armour, not sure what the stab level is though...

I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the company name on the back.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't speed? Riiiiigght.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Dennis didn't just write any random person, but "YOU"! (Or if I read it, did he mean me?)

Reply to
Rod