OT: Blood Tests

A bottle a day is what he's reputed to have drunk, not a bottle with breakfast. Quite different things.

Reply to
Clive George

On 27 Feb 2016, Graham. grunted:

The only proactive test my practice has done

Well that's one more than my practice has ever done for me, in the 20 years I've been with them!

Reply to
Lobster

I'm with Ronnie Scott on that. Teetotallers don't live longer, it just seems that way

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On 27 Feb 2016, Stuart Noble grunted:

Cos the vast majority of patients greatly underestimate their alcohol consumption when asked. No point in starting lengthy investigations into dodgy liver enzyme results in a patient claimimg to be teetotal when he's actually a raving alcoholic!

Reply to
Lobster

Does anybody without a lung full of air? I never have and even my beer gut wouldn't save me without a gulp of air.

AJH

Reply to
news

In message , snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk writes

Don't know.

I refrain from swimming as avoiding drowning makes it hard work:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Just get used to the idea that you're going to die anyway. Just how and when is a matter of luck. Having enjoyed a hedonistic lifestyle for many years, I'll take my chances. By the way, almost all the people younger than me who indulged in exercise have died, just an observation.

Reply to
Capitol

I'm not judging him. Leave that sort of thing to the likes of you. I do feel sorry for someone in the last stages of addiction, though. Regardless of who they are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, quite. I do wonder about some on here. Anyone who drank a bottle of spirits quickly would pass out. And then need more when they woke up.

Drinking a bottle a day is more usual behaviour for an alcoholic. Until he dies at an early age, that is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, I'm still planning our next US trip for November, going to be interesting on the health insurance front. Life is for living.

Reply to
Capitol

Forgot to add, the NHS service was outstanding, fully equivalent if not better than a good US hospital. I am also able to report that the answer to the old adage about "do you like hospital food?" is equally true on both sides of the Atlantic.

Reply to
Capitol

It's perhaps the most common symptom of alcoholism. Denial of how much they drink - and to themselves. Hence you'll find a person who lives alone hiding the empties. Going to a different off licence each time to buy their supplies. Disposing of empties in other's dustbins, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Someone not far away enough from me (though in no way connected with me) currently seems to be on a litre and a half of spirits a day. I have seen and heard various forms of evidence including a letter from his liver consultant. Said stop or you will die - soon.

Reply to
polygonum

Doc - you have to stop drinking now

Patient - will it let me live another 40 years?

Doc - No, it'll just seem like it!

(yes I know it's old)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yes. Plenty do drink far more than a bottle of spirits a day. But not for very long in the scheme of things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's not a matter of luck if you die before your time due to any drug use. It's a choice.

Indulged in exercise? Went for a walk most days? Your statement is more ridiculous than most from you. Which is saying something.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why would someone who lives alone need to hide their empties?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Nope; nothing "reputed" about it. He said so himself in a fairly recent documentary. He also stated he enjoyed it, wasn't an alcoholic and his routine liver function screenings showed no abnormality.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yeah, well that's what they said to George Best, Oliver Reed and countless others who carried right on knocking it back with no apparent ill-effects.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm not disupting drinking a bottle a day, but a bottle with breakfast is bollocks - even if it came from the horses mouth. So I think you'll find it's "yep", not "nope".

Reply to
Clive George