OT: Bizarre mobile phone problem

Hi All,

My wife is having problems with her mobile phone where intermittently, peop le send he text messages and she doesn't get them. It does seem to be send er related as she usually gets messages from them but some for some bizarre reason never get through. We are both on Three and she has a Samsung Galax y S5 if that helps any?

We spoke with Three last night and no joy. The usual restart the phone, re move some messages type stuff. I have searched around and can't see any go od forums or people experiencing the same sort of issue. So... I thought I would revert back to the usual font of all knowledge :)

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Could it be that the affected sender has multiple (e.g. mobile and home) numbers for your wife in their phone, and sometimes sends texts to the wrong number, of course DigiDot would then call you at inconvenient times and speak them out to you, unless you'd blocked SMS delivery to the home phone, then they'd be blackholed ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting idea. I will get her to check. I think most of her friend hav e iPhones so not sure whether there is a similar potential there. With Han gouts there seems to be a distinction between Google+ type people and real SMS so... building on your thought I wonder if some of this is going on?

Reply to
leenowell

A cousin recently switched to an iPhone - and since then, I have received numerous messages from her, which she had thought she was sending to her son...

Reply to
S Viemeister

As text messages are a best of effort service there is no reason to expect them to get through. You should never use them for something important.

On the other hand if you make a phone call you know if its got through.

Reply to
dennis

1) how are number stored ? 07xxxxxxxxx or +447xxxxxxxxx ? For some reason I have heard it can make a difference 2) Do the affected senders have anything in common ? i.e. network ? (bearing in mind todays news that O2 have had significant problems since yesterday) 3) Is there some sort of "helpful" app which is doing something ?

4) Although it's a lost cause with the less intelligent users*, there is an appreciation that SMS is not a reliable service ?

*I idly wonder how many arguments through to divorces can be attributed to lost SMS messages ?
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I assume the S5 has the ability to block texts from specific numbers. If so, perhaps the numbers she is having a problem with are being added and removed intermittently for some reason. If there is a maximum amount of specific numbers which can be blocked, try adding a load of nonsense numbers (eg 12345671, 12345672, etc) to the blocklist so that all the available spaces are filled. That should prevent any "problem" numbers being added randomly to the blocklist.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

If the sender(s) are using iPhones, they might be set to use the Apple message thingy rather than the one true and good SMS message. That has caught a lot of people.

Reply to
polygonum

I think iPhones are intelligent enough to avoid using iMessage when sending to non-apple devices ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Unless that number was associated with an iPhone in the past, and iMessage doesn't realise it isn't any more.

Or iMessage has been used in the past, and the persons email address has been used instead of the number, and the senders on iPhones are just opening a previous conversation

to the OP - has your wife had an iPhone with this number before?

Reply to
Toby

I have a Galaxy S5 and have experienced similar problem over the last few months. Despite all my efforts so far I am non the wiser...

This is my situation in case that helps:

Setup:

- A dual-SIM galaxy S5 (only one slot used).

- EE 4G contract

- Latest version of NextSMS (much better than stock SMS app in my opinion)

- Signal booster at home (treated as 3G by the phone I think)

All was working fine when I bought the phone in May last year until a few months later I noticed that the phone "has gone quite" for a day or two (I get texts every day usually). I verify the problem by trying to text myself and receiving nothing. A restart of the phone brings it back to life (and if the "lost" texts had been sent relatively recently then I sometimes receive them after the restart).

After that I usually have a few day/weeks without a problem, until the problem returns for no apparent reason.

I know the phone continues to send texts, as I have tried and succeeded in sending text to others - only problem is that mine stops receiving.

What I have tried so far:

- Replaced SIM at shop's advice. Still there...

- Disable 4G on my phone for a few days. Still there...

- Factory reset the phone and reinstall everything. Still there...

- I installed "Send It Later" - an app that allows you to schedule text sending, and set it up to send myself one text in the morning and one in the evening to try and help me work what triggers the problem. So far no clue.

- 4G was made available near our house a few months ago, and initially I thought that perhaps that was the cause, but I tried sending texts to myself when the problem occurred whilst I was in a different location (10 miles away), and it was still there.

Things still to check:

- Return to stock SMS app to see if NextSMS is the culprit.

- Hardware/Software issue with the phone itself. Phone is under warranty, but I don't have a spare decent phone at the moment and as it will likely take weeks before I get my phone back this is my very last option.

Reply to
JoeJoe

polygonum

It only does that to other iphones, never to non iphones.

Reply to
jack

Where on earth did you get that idea? I have NEVER not received a text except the odd time someone sent it to the wrong number.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Doesn't seem to matter with me.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why would it add numbers to a blocklist without being asked to?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Not only intelligent enough, there is no way to send an iMessage to a non-apple device, there is no apple ID for that contact to send it to.

Reply to
jack

How does it automatically know what phone type is associated with a given number? AFAIK there is nothing in the network that can reliably communicate that information.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Inter-network SMS relaying can be very un-reliable and always has been.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How do you know rod? Does everyone tell you they have sent you a text? By phoning you afterwards? Try thinking about it before you post drivel.

Reply to
dennis