(OT) Birmingham Airport

I need to collect someone on Friday. I know there is a 10 minute Drop and Go car park, but ideally I want to loiter outside the airport until I get a phone call to say they have got their luggage and are ready.

Does anyone know the area well enough to suggest anywhere off site as I don't want to end up having to pay and then run out of time and have to go around again.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Just park in one of the multi-storey car parks, they are almost as close- 5 min walk.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

In message , DerbyBorn writes

I lurked here, when I had to pick someone up (it's an industrial estate/office park type place:

One of the car parks (5 I think) has a free drop off (15 mins free) . The passengers get a bus out from the terminal and you meet them there. (though it's only a quid and the drop and go carpark IIRC as long as you can be in and out).

If yuo are there with much time to kill, the National Motorcycle museum is just the other side of the M^

Reply to
Chris French

If you are coming from A45 Coventry there's a layby as you take the straight slope down to the Malt Shovel. Takes about 5 mins from there. Google Earth it

Rob

Reply to
Gone Fishin

Yes, this is what I do:

Approach the airport along the B4438 (Catherine de Barnes Lane).[1] [Have a look on Google maps]. Just past Bickenhill (which you won't really notice) there's a right-hand bend and a dead-end road (Clock Lane) on the left. The entrance to Clock Lane is a favourite lurking place for taxis etc. waiting for a phone call to do a pick-up.

It will take you less than 5 minutes to drive to the 10 minute drop car park from there. My wife always rings me when she is about to come out of the arrivals hall with her luggage - and by the time she's walked out to the car park, I'm there.

[1] If you want to get to the waiting point from the M42 or the A45, find the spot on your satnav, and tell it to take you there. If you follow signs to the airport, you'll miss it because of the multi-level slip-roads.
Reply to
Roger Mills

This is the place: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4413806,-1.7282384,3a,75y,349.89h,89.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s49IG_M3vJqP5yp6V0AkJwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (picture)

or https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4430053,-1.7283768,17z (Map)

Reply to
Roger Mills

Could always pop to the new 'Resorts World' if you need to kill some time.

Not sure how much parking is as I was only working on it as a contractor.

gremlin_95

In message , Chris French writes

We'll take M^ as M6 :-)

Reply to
News

Well, you have corrected they typo, but it is actually the M42 at that location.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

When you say "corrected they typo" .... ?

Reply to
GB

Dialect.

Reply to
Nightjar

I fear that I am simply demonstrating the continued operation of the unwritten rule that any comment on an error of this sort must itself be at fault. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's good to keep the old traditions alive. :)

Reply to
GB

Well, I did fire up Google Maps before commenting, not being familiar with the geography of that area. Yes, you are correct, but Chris did say just the other side, which is also correct. It was fairly obvious that Chris has shifted both M and 6, by mistake.

Reply to
News

Muphry's (sic) law - it's not that unwritten :

Reply to
mark.bluemel

The National Motorcycle Museum is only 5 minutes away and has free parking:

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Thanks everyone. The Clock Lane suggestion was in my satnav but I got a call to say they had landed early and so I went straight in.

Reply to
DerbyBorn