OT:Big up for Garmin

had a problem ("Cannot authenticate maps") after a map update earlier today. Emailed customer support, and had a fix in 13 minutes.

That's right. 13 minutes.

(Fix was to apply a couple of files to the device)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It took me about ten minutes to find the solution to that on their website when the first update on my newly purchased Garmin failed.

Unfortunately my other problem, which is the split screen obscuring the bit of the screen I want to see at some junctions can't be dealt with without a re-write of the software. Finding that out took until the following working day, after posting it just before midnight our time.

Reply to
John Williamson

I've contacted customer service on both Magellan and Garmin in the past. Magellan took ages (2 weeks, I think) to tell me it wouldn't do that, Garmin were excellent with an immediate solution to whatever it was that I wanted.

Using voice, as I prefer to look where I'm going, my oldish Garmin doesn't really cope with double roundabouts, though. The Magellan usually does.

Reply to
Bill

One would have thought that the latter issue could have easily been tested for before shipping loads of units. I can see it now. sorry sir that new car you bought will only turn left for five seconds due to a software issue, then it goes back to straight again.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you're talking about the split screen issue, it is actually one of the features they use to promote sales of these units. I just found it extremely annoying that it couldn't be turned off like the annoying voice that nags you to "Turn round as soon as possible".

Unfortunately, it's one of very few units that let me use a portrait screen format to show the route ahead rather than the widescreen format to show me what's alongside the road.

Reply to
John Williamson

Put a landscape model into "map" mode rather than "3D"? I hate the 3D display.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Even worse than the 3D landscape mode. If you can see enough detail, it's zoomed in so close that you might as well look out of the window, and if you zoom out to a useful range, there's not enough detail on the normal 320x240 or 480x272 display.

Reply to
John Williamson

Doesn't it autmagically zoom in as you get close to a turning? My ancient version of TomTom running on an HP iPAQ does (4.5" screen). The zoomed out normal running gives plenty of view. I can flip it to portrait as well but then the information in the status row gets too squidged up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The 3D display does, but as I don't like the 2D map view, I've not played with it to find out Yes, it does zoom in on the 2D display as well, but with the standard landscape display format with the default extras, it is like looking at the map through a very narrow letterbox slit. The portrait display has an almost square map window. It's been the same on all the satnav units I've tried. My preference is for the 3D portrait display. Other people's preferences obviously differ, as Tomtom, who don't offer the portrait option on the standalone units as far as I can tell, are the market leaders.

Reply to
John Williamson