OT: best way to use chimmnea

Hi there,

Really really stupid question here..

We have a cast iron chiminea like this:

from using the correct wood etc is it better to have the lid on it when it is lit so most of the heat comes out from the front rather than going up the chimney?

Reply to
David

Lid off will make it burn more fiercely because of the updraught. Lid on will calm it down a bit IME.

They chuck out loads of heat anyway.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

this:

> Apart from using the correct wood etc is it better to have the lid on

No, fires burn better when the hot gases/smoke are allowed to rise, so the fire draws in fresh air from the sides.

Reply to
dom

Our neighbours just fill theirs with old confidential papers (and old smelly socks I think), then light it, and bake potatoes whilst the barby is cooking the meats. It absolutely stinks - bloody horrible thing.

Reply to
John Whitworth