OT..best broadband provider?

I cannot see how they can tell if you use VPN. Most suppliers smply don;t even bother to try. They accept that if youy can squeeze and office of 20 people behind a single DHCP allocated address, then thats your problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They get my vote. Not sure if news server access is oincluided in teh cheaper offerings tho. Clara seem to take the (utterly reasonable) line that news costs them a lot of money, to do properly, isn't something that most ciusrtoners need anyway and therefore you have to pay for it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmm. Interesting. I was able to test out mail filtering sending via Demons SMTP relays from almost any spoof address. They merely care that you are sending from within their network.

Certianly they allow the 3 domains I have registered elsewhere to pass outbound.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Haveing seen teh plethora of recommendations and dis-recommendations, something occurs to me that has not been mentioned.

Is it not true that ALL of these services apart from a very =few large ones in s afew selected locatins, will be using BT DSLAMS and BT backhaul in the exchnge and from teh exchange to e.g. Telehouse?

And therefore, the preformance will be identical up to and including the ISP's backbone?

And therefore since after that you are free to pick and choose which news servers, pop mail systems etc you use, it really makes bugger all difference?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When is your going to under water?

Reply to
IMM

Well, yes, the thread was about binaries though, which is a different kettle of fish. Many ISPs have decent retention on text groups, plusnets current server for example gets over a month on many too.

Text is not (very) hard, binaries require actual significant work.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Not at all. I'd recommend that you go for it.......

It seems like a very good deal........

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's not actually for me. It is for a relative who doesn't need super comms. The Tiscalli 150 would fine, and the news servers are thrown in too. The two cheap Pipex deals do not give a news server. I used one last week and was impressed. Not as slow as I thought it would be. But they now charge £25 connection fee. I don't know if there is a cancellation penalty. The only no contract deal I know of is the Telecom Plus £24 or £25 512 deal, which was a good deal a year ago, but is now being undercut. If they lower the price it is immediately passed onto you, while with these contracts, they may lower the price, but you keep paying the old higher rate. So, if you require broadband for 6 months Telecom Plus is the one to go for.

There are probably better around.

Reply to
IMM

Oh, just looked. The Pipex 512 19.99 deal is not unlimited. Once you reach

1 gig per month you will be cut off. The 512 unlimited is 23.44, which makes the no minimum contract Telecom Plus deal look good. With Telecom Plus, the more services you have with them the cheaper the bottom line is. I have my land line, gas and electricity with them, so the broadband deal may look good for the likes of me.
Reply to
IMM

Yup. We could even have a whip round...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

And some fell on stony ground...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

An insider at NTL told me that they give usenet the lowest priority of any of their services.

Reply to
BillV

In message , BillV writes

Don't I know it.

The number of times a reply to a Uk-diy question has malingered in the outbox until the next day gets really annoying

Reply to
geoff

In message , IMM writes

Well, I have free internet access via someone around here who doesn't have a very secure wireless connection.It also has the beauty that I can terminate when I want and no sign up fees. The only cost is the wireless USB device. Bet you can't beat that Eliza

Reply to
geoff

PlusNet have the same restriction on the sender being in their netblock, but also have an extra validation step to check the domain claimed to be sending the mail is resolveable.

(some ISPs are very restrictive and will not alow use of a sender address other than the users own address as allocated by the ISP)

Reply to
John Rumm

Its is not a case of being able to tell - more a case of using a VPN being impossible.

This is changing - but it used to be the case that the AOL client software established its own VPN connection to the AOL servers as the standard way of connecting. Hence it was not possible to tunnel another VPN though the setup since your were by defaulr already using one. This was also why there was extra complexity using a router - it was not just a case of enabling NAT - you had to configure the router to allow VPN passthrough, and then setup the extra AOL clients to support TCP/IP transport at the time of installation.

It seems more recently they are moving to a more standard PPP (or PPPoA) setup.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do they validate the parameter to HELO/EHLO? If so, they're violating the standard..

Reply to
Bob Eager

Maxie, you are stealing. That is not nice and I would get the council onto you.

Reply to
IMM

If you want a good package for low (ish) usage look at Metronet. They seem to offer a good service but on a metered basis. Their basic charge is 11.75/month for their full featured 512K account, but that only allows you to download 200MB. You then pay 0.25p / M after that. They limit the maximum cost at about about 24 quid / month IIRC. (you would need to download over 7 gig / month or more to reach that however).

One of the cheapest "no strings" flat rate deals is the PlusNet 512K home surf one at 19/month. No limits on usage etc, no minimum contracts or break fees. You are not able to access binary news groups or P2P apps though.

Their home start offer is quite a good deal if you are starting out.

24/month including free connection for a full featured account. Works out about 36 quid cheaper for the first year than the cheaper accounts with the connection fee added. Has "free hardware" also.

As with most "free hardware" deals you can stick the supplied modem on ebay and get yourself a proper router. Plusnet are happy to provide support to router users (some ISPs will only support users of the bundled crap modem)

Reply to
John Rumm

No they validate the MAIL FROM: address to check the domain specified resolves.

Reply to
John Rumm