OT beetroot juice

Bananas other fruit etc.

That's the other side of the low salt or more specifically low sodium chloride recommendation. Potassium and sodium are responsible for ion exchange across the cell embranes of every cell in the body and so maintaining a balance is important. Well once you know about it seems that way anyway.

michael adams

michael adams

With respect, most of what you've said about thyroid malfunction there could equally apply to almost anybody .

AFAII the only unusual symptom Stuart has described is the dangerously elevated heartbeat which appears to have subsided.

What is it about Stuart any more than anyone else that leads you to recommend he should ask to have a thyroid test ?

michael adams

michael adams

There are lots of recipes for beetroot based cakes (like carrot cakes)

I have no idea how many pieces of cake equals a beetroot juice portion for therapeutic purposes.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I have seen a case where the male (might be problems with a female) with BP around 180, reduced it to 140 over a period of some 18 months. He took 25mg of DHEA initially daily, then over 9 months increased this to 75mg daily. There was no improvement noticed below

75mg and it took about a year of 75mg to reduce the BP to 140. Last time I checked with him his BP was in the region of 120 to 150 depending on the time of day. He had also reduced his weight by 14lbs. He no longer needs to take DHEA. YMMV.
Reply to
Capitol

Which species if beta blockers?

Reply to
Capitol

Just so that you know, DHEA is a Controlled Drug within the UK. Listed under the name Prasterone.

polygonum

American friend, OTC in the US. Any Dr can prescribe if he decides to do so.

Reply to
Capitol

I thought I might be able to tolerate beetroot in a carrot-cake-like incarnation. Nope. Still tastes like dirt.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Beetroot wine?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A terrible thing to do to alcohol.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I would not have described beta blockers as legal highs, These days they are used to smooth out the problems associated with being too sensitive to the old brain chemicals which do make you high, then low etc. I don't like the stuff either, and its stains are terrible to get out of clothes I'm told. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Her Indoors says beetroots taste better when you cook them yourself in the pressure cooker rather than buying the pre-packed ones! Sounds like most nasty dark green things, like kale and spinach, are equally good for you, and they surely can't taste any worse than beetroot.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks. I already swallow a clove of garlic before breakfast so I guess I'm already benefiting from that.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I buy Cawston press beetroot juice which already has 10% apple juice but I mix it 50/50 with grapefruit juice which makes it drinkable. Grapefruit juice interacts with some medications so use Orange juice if you are in that category.

According to the self-bp machine at my local surgery, my BP drops from

115/90 to 99/67 so it definately works for me.
Reply to
Andrew

That will stop you from developing black spot too :-). Some people plant garlic around their roses.

Also keeps people away from you on the tube. (that's *in* the tube for German followers).

Reply to
Andrew

You'll get fined in France in future :-)

Reply to
Andrew

The allicin which the study refers to is released when the cell walls of the garlic are broken, and two substances react chemically.

So it may be better to not swallow whole, but to crush, chop, mince, press, or grate the garlic. This will depend on if you are choking down a clove of that vile medicine, or delect in the noble aroma of garlic.

Here, more about this, as a food:

Anecdotally, I know of one person with low blood pressure that avoids garlic in food because it further lowers their blood pressure to the point that it is uncomfortable.

Also, a 24 hour blood pressure recorder/monitor thing may be in order, to show what your blood pressure is when you are not looking -- once you start worrying about it, the act of measuring it may change it...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

There used to be a good series of articles in the Telegraph, written by Dr Le Fanu, and his article on over medication sparked a huge response. Unfortunately the DT seem to have adopted the same awful layout that the grundian and indy are using and all the old articles have gone.

Reply to
Andrew

Yep, been there, done that. I don't wear a white coat when taking my BP, just in case!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Kale is tasty, spinach is tolerable, beetroot is disgusting.

Reply to
S Viemeister