OT - Bath to Shower conv - value?

I need to redo my bathroom this summer, and would prefer to replace the bath completely for a stand alone / walk in shower unit. (will probably be here for another 3 years or so).

Any ideas as to the likely effect of this on the value of the house? It's a

3 bed semi built late '60's.

The market for the house would be 1st / 2nd time buyers (i.e. peeps with young kids, that *might* feel they still *need* a bath in the house)

Any ideas gratefully received.

Reply to
tct

as a young family with a child a bath would be essential for me so personally i wouldn't remove the bath totally, i would however relish both bath and seperate shower as i could have a shower before/after work and then a bath later with kids! maybe an onsuite to the master might be possible and desireable?

Reply to
Gav

In article , tct writes

I don't know if it would undermine value but think it might undermine your market. I reckon more than 50% of buyers view a bath as a must so you could be cutting your market in half. I'm one of those that likes an occasional soak and am prepared to put up with the shower over bath weakness if that is the only way to manage it. I do have a large, solid and flat bottomed cast iron bath that likes to think it is a shower tray so perhaps that could be a way for you to make a based bath solution better. My separate shower awaits the conversion of one of my walk in cupboards.

Reply to
fred

Personally love a shower but with 3 kids under 7 wouldn't read past the bathromm details on the estate agents sheet !!!

Reply to
NikV

In message , tct writes

Not having a bath will reduce the number of potential buyers, and therefore the value.

For some reason, most people feel they need a bath in the house, even if they always shower.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In message , NikV writes

Indeed, there's no might about it, anyone with young kids is going to want a bath, and I think most people want to see a bath in house they are buying anyway.

That said my parents ahve just removed the bath in their small bathroom, in the house they have just bought, but then by dad is disabled and finds baths hard to use, and they don't intend selling the house anytime soon/ever.

Certainly if you expect to move in the nearish future (3 years isn't that long) then i wouldn't consider it.

Reply to
chris French

That would apply to me. I normally shower, but very occasionally take a hot bath if I want relax for an hour in a steamy bathroom, e.g. if I'm trying to avoid or shake off a nasty cold.

I might buy a house that didn't have a bath only if it was possible to fit one, but then I would reckon on having the cost of a bathroom refit knocked off the price (even if it had only just had one).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd go for a shower bath with curved screen. Then you get a spacious shower AND can still have a bath.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Why is that a weakness?

Ah - ours is a cast iron bath too and as solid as a rock to stand on under the shower.

I thought about the advantages of the bath vs shower and, apart from the obvious ones like keeping the coal in it, I wouldn't be without ours for washing fleeces.

It's also great for hanging dripping clothes over when it's raining.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why not just replace the bath with a shower and enjoy your home as you want it. You probably work hard and pay a mortgage so enjoy what youre paying for. If you are really worried about the value when you come to sell discuss the matter with your estate agent and if needs be put a cheap plastic bath back in, wouldn't cost more than £250.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Heavens! Someone suggesting that a house should be fitted and decorated to enjoy yourself instead of for a buyer?

I thought I was the only one who believed in that!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Not at all, it all depend son the context. And the OP started the thread asking for opinions on the effect on the value of the house without a bath, hence the comments.

If you are likely to be selling the house in the foreseeable distant future, then it makes sense to consider the impact on the price/saleability of major works that you do. - Note 'consider', not the same as you should do something.

In our old house, we revamped the kitchen a couple of years after moving in. We did it for us without considering really the future sale of the property. When we did up couple of rooms in the year before it went on sale then we did pay some consideration to the future sale, we wanted a good price and we knew we would want as quick a sale as possible

Reply to
chris French