OT Bank charge, is this reasonable?

Yup, phone em and ask for it back - say you thought it was excessive given the circumstance - especially given the balance you usually maintain.

I would be very surprised if they did not give it back.

Reply to
John Rumm

HSBC is about as close to safe as you will get. It has more money on deposit than it has on loan, making it unique among the big banks on the UK High Street.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That was only the most recent episode. World War 1 interrupted the first.

Ours probably don't work.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Or change banks. That would be THEIR mistake.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nor in a reasonably free market, does it excuse them taking excessive advantage of it.

The choice is quite simple: if you end up with a bank that wants to play by their sets of rules, that is their prerogative.

If you choose to withdraw your money on that account, and place it somewhere else, that is yours.

Pointing this out to the bank, is sometimes helpful.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bollox. Its sheep like thinking like that which has allowed the banks to rip people off for years.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Phone or write. And threaten to leave if they don't refund it. And do it if they don't. (or even if they do if you're feeling stroppy)

Reply to
mogga

Whilst Ian is a well known troll and Usenet retard, he nonetheless has a point; there is an increasing tendency for people to ignore T&Cs they signed up to, then bleat and whine when they breach them.

Reply to
Huge

I don't get this "illegal" charge about the Ts & Cs for banks. Just because they charge what they say they will in their detailed Ts & Cs, when you make a cockup on your account, doesn't make it illegal.

Of course, in this day and age it is much less costly for a bank to have to write to you about overdrawn accounts, so the charge of =A335 or whatever does not seem to equate to the "real" cost of having to deal with your overdrawn account, but when did we suddenly expect that goods and services should be related to the raw cost of the product?

Personally I think that UK banks do shoot themselves in the foot over this sort of thing - it doesn't bring much revenue to them, just bad publicity. On the other hand, we are one of the few nations that (if we stay in credit) does get free banking (with crap current account interest rates, admittedly).

It may be immoral (is "free banking" provided to the masses, subsidised by high charges for those less careless with their financial arrangements), and the fact that all banks appear to charge similar amounts may allow for an argument about anti-competetive practices, but as things stand at the moment the charges aren't "illegal".

Reply to
matthew.larkin

In article , Harry Bloomfield scribeth thus

Is that wise these days;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Problem is with banks is that their all as bad as each other in their own ways..

The good thing about mine is that its got a big car park there the only reason we're still with 'em;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed. On top of that, IIRC the banks recently lost that part of their court case with the OFT - and it was found that they were in violation of the legislation governing unfair contract terms in consumer agreements.

Reply to
John Rumm

Aren't ING also in trouble?

not in the shit as deep as some banks but their shoes are certainl= y not very clean. I don't take what the company says about being "healthy"= , they are bound to say that, if they are "healthy" why do they need a =A37.7bn cash injection from their government?

What I'm finding interesting is the amount of cash people have lying about. Mine is invested (for the long term) to get a better overall return. Pity that my portfolio has lost about 30k in value in the last 3= months, but it's done that before and recovered well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No bank has ever ripped me off.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

at

...have now been bailed out by the Dutch Government!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No they didn't.

All that has happened is the High Court has decided that the OFT is allowed to rule on the matter, the banks have appealed and the matter has returned to the Court for the hearing of the appeal.

Reply to
Huge

Standard advice to all businesses: change your shirt daily, your business plan every quarter, your coffee machine annually and your bank every three years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mate. Even the central banks are in trouble.

to that the price of insuring against debt default for a slew of countries that has relegated them to basically bankrupt economies,
it looks like another black Monday is on the cards..

The curious situation of the world having a net debt that exceeds net asset value, has never before been encountered.

At this point, all bets are off.

Which is probably why the G7 lot are having a nice coffee and digestive break this weekend.

Not imputing anything, but it places a certain perspective on the recent massive upramping in state powers to control a population in revolt..er sorry, I meant a 'definite terrorist threat'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It didn't actually go in the red, there was just insufficient funds to cover the cheque. All sorted out now...

I walked into the bank with attitude and ready to close my accounts. The 'as a gesture of good will...' refunded the £35 charge - without need to go so far as threatening to close my accounts. The Halifax BTW.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 23/10/2008, tony sayer supposed :

Probably not, hence the 10K cheque to move some out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield