OT: Awkward Squad

He asked 'and how do you deal with it'. My suggestion was in answer to that.

There are few things less threatening than a killfile ... and as I have stated, I don't even have one.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Fond memories of one particular cold-calling double-glazing telesalesmuppet.

A very pleasant ten minutes of chat later, and I'd got an appointment for the real live salesmuppet all lined up... then, half-way through the farewell pleasantries, I asked them if they'd be so kind as to explain how exactly they were planning on putting a conservatory on a second floor flat...

It's not a proper cold-call unless they swear at you as they hang up on you.

Reply to
Adrian

I got stopped in the street by some (unless they were Mormons) a few years back . They asked if I knew of anyone who wanted to talk about Jesus. I pointed them at the church 100 yds up a side road.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Bill Wright writes

What annoys me? The way that f**** Microsoft insist on controlling virtually everything you try to do on W9.1 Just trying to download a free app is like being interrogated by the CIA.

Reply to
bert

In message , tony sayer writes

Yes the lonely and isolated are the most vulnerable and usually the most trusting. That is why they regularly targeted and subsequently appear in the local papers as victims of some callous rip off or distraction robbery often falling for the "water board" ruse. No doubt your friend sells them something or collects a sub in return for her little chat.

Reply to
bert

There's an easy solution...

(BTW, either you're on a serious Alpha-test program, or ITYM 8.1)

Reply to
Adrian

One got the heat treatment near us a few weeks ago. I thought the sooty black livery looked far better than the dayglo yellow and it toned in much more satisfactorily with the surroundings. It's now been replaced but wouldn't appear to be active as it didn't flash when an ambulance went through it at speed today. I'll not be checking it myself though!

Nag your local political representative to set up a no cold calling zone

. It's worked a treat round here.

Brilliant!!

Does that include wannabe local (and national) political representatives ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Usually local councillors. But, as elections approach, wannabees might see some advantage in helping...

I did that one April fools day years ago, I put myself in a conference call with two BT operators, I kept silent. After the initial confusion it slowly dawned in them that they were in the same Indian call-centre. It was also apparent that one agent was senor to the other and demanded to know why his subordinate had called him.

Reply to
Graham.

Graham.

At this point I should mention that "Janet" is actually my son.

Graham.

My ISP provides one, and we can configure anon calls to redirect to it automatically. It goes to a set of recorded responses which try to interact with the caller and waste their time. They have posted some of the longer recordings - some callers have been kept on the line talking to recordings without realising for over

3 minutes.

Andrew Gabriel

On the subject of cameras. Near where I am is what is termed a bus gate. the idea is that only busses should use it, not commercial vehicles who would be too big for the mainly residential roads beyond. the busses being very narrow ones specifically purchased. The council has a small fleet of vehicles with a camera on a telescopic pole on the roof and recently they have been sitting round the back of a hedge in a car park of some flats with the camera peeking over the hedge, booking ANY vehicle using the bus gate. Now really it was never meant to be a problem for cars to use the gate as it was not there to catch them, but it seems they rules had been susubtleyb changed and now everything that is not a bus is being given a ticket by the bloke in the car. Its done by post with a picture, so presumably he just sits there all day and does the paperwork. What a great wheeze it would be to distract him and get a friend to put black paint on his camera lens.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So far people seem to be zeroing in on cars and the law, however still on cars and traffic generally, I'm looking for some kind of safe way to annoy those who obscure whole pavements with parked cars, forcing the blind and people with young children to go into the road to get by. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. on a similar vein, cyclists who take to the pavements to avoid red lights, scattering pedestrians as they go are another issue that needs addressing. Maybe some kind of device at crossings that bursts bike tyres if they come off the road there? Make em walk.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Back in the 80s, and yes we had cold callers then as well, I remember being at a tv studio where Michael Bentine was showing people how his flea circus worked. He liked to talk as I'm sure you know, and one thing he did say was that he tends to answer the phone in his nonsense Russian. People who know him of course sus it out and stay on line but cold callers fell into two categories, the ones who just hang up and the ones who try to commiunicate by talking louder in English and asking if there is anyone who speaks English etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I once watched an elderly gentleman, in Harpenden! whack each car parked wheels on the pavement, with his walking stick as he went by.

I have long thought that bikes with straight handlebars rather than drop must be very vulnerable to contact with objects such as a hand or shopping bag or??

Or adjust police priorities. Aged 15, I was pulled over for not stopping at a major road. My argument was that I had stopped and that, with a fixed wheel, I had not needed to put a foot on the ground!

Also pulled up, guilty, for not having a working rear light. Neither of these warnings or any future contact spoiled my respect and confidence in the police force.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm trying to work out the best strategy for "accidentally" de-biking some of the cyclists who speed down the pavement past our house.

I really need to step back at the right (wrong?) moment so that I don't hurt myself. Given my limited vision, I can't be expected to see them every time.

Reply to
Bob Eager