OT: Attention Firefox users

I know that a lot of people posting to this group use Firefox as their browser, and this just might be useful.

If anyone has recently updated Firefox from v3.6 to v4 and doesn't like the result (everything has moved, and they've tried to make it look like Google Chrome - ugh!) help is at hand.

I followed the instructions given in the second half of Xircal's post at

and have now got v4 looking almost like v3.6!

Of course, if you happen to like v4 in its default state . . .

Reply to
Roger Mills

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Roger Mills saying something like:

I didn't like it at all, at first.

It's grown on me, but I still prefer versions up to 3.6, as that's simply what I've been used to for years. By customising v4, it's back to nearly what I want, and the further items that are different are small enough to be a minor gripe that's easily coped with.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Roger Mills :

I agree that this was a backward step for Firefox.

Here change was needed immediately, because my address box is in the menu bar, and v4 disappeared it. So I got the top part of the window sorted out using the obvious methods.

Your link alerted me to a solution for the status bar/add-ons bar problem, and the Status-4-Evar add-on seems to work well, but it did manage to screw up all my previous toolbar customisations. So before installing this add-on, memorise your customisations and be prepared to re-do them.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Mike Barnes writes

Well here V4 seems to be broken.

I have got into the habit of leaving a lot of tabs open because I spend a lot of time skimming across a number of sites.

In the few days since I let it update and move all the knobs and buttons, I seem to have tabs that assume the character of the next door tab. So if my LH tab is ebay and the next one something else, I'll scoot along the mass of tabs and when I get back, I'll find I have 2 something else's. Backing up with the left arrow a couple of times gets me back to ebay.

I'm about to try this on a couple of other machines. If it happens on them, I think I'll be looking for another browser rather than trying to move stuff back to something more sensible on this.

Reply to
Bill

The sort of things in store for future versions seem further regressive steps ...

built in PDF reader (what's wrong with Foxit/Evince/Acrobat)

built in facebook client (Eh? I thought facebook was a webpage?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

This sort of nonsense seems to be afflicting the entire OSS movement.

Reply to
Huge

It's the latest variant of Lett's Law ("All programs evolve until they can send email").

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Very good point - I'd forgotten Lett's Law.

Reply to
Huge

ttp://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/819821?s=3Dff4+like+3.6&as=3Ds

Well I am pleased I found this thread,,

I have been getting reminders to update to version 4 for a while now..

Think I will stick with old one just now....

A lad i know still uses version 2 for preference..

Rupert Bear

at

> and have now got v4 looking almost like v3.6!

i cant tell any difference between 3 and 4

made the switch hardly noticed

less meory leaks and faster javascript seems abiout all

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have Windoze 7 and 4 changed quite a bit. I have customised it a bit and prefer it to 3.x.

Wife's XP SP3 PC hardly changed at all for some reason.

Reply to
Invisible Man

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Bastard thing seems to have more memory leakage on mine than v3 did.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

curious. I guess it depends which pages you view..

It is after all possible to write javascript itself that is buggy and constantly creates new objects without destroying the old ones...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know js. Is there no garbage collection?

Reply to
Mark

There is. But if you don't throw objects away, they are not garbage are they?

while (1) { New Array(); } :-)

Or whatever the parlance is.

Done that myself in procedural

opened a file, but on error failed to close it. 16 operator mistakes later, no more file handles...

...easy to find when the girl using the code said 'I don't get it so much now I know how to use the software' :-)

These interpreted languages like javascript eliminate some errors, but they create lots of lovely new ways to f*ck things up.

At least in - say - C you have to do a 'malloc()' call to reserve heap space and you are more aware that's what you are doing. And can double check for 'free()' calls that match.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In general if they're no references to the object then this should be ripe for garbage collection. Don't know about js tho'

Reply to
Mark

Same applies in javaScript, but beware of closures.

Reply to
Tim Streater