OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

-----------------------------8><

My reaction to cola of any stripe.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

The fish shop in the Black country museum cooks in beef dripping, they always have a queue of people waiting.

Reply to
dennis

My dentist drives a Prius.

Reply to
Huge

More like general mankyness.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I use a cast-iron skillet for my pancakes. It makes perfect pancakes every time and I never have any problem with sticking. Lard of course.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

My other problem at the moment is an electric cooker as I can't afford to get gas connected. This will be rectified when I move.

Reply to
John Williamson

Don't forget to cater for those who prefer wholemeal buns ;-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Bottled gas, propane from a large orange cylinder or perhaps an induction hob?

If the move is very soon not worth changing but if it's only a "when we find somewhere we like" hasten the moving process by doing one of the above. Induction being the simplest but more expensive will hasten it more than propane... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I haven't been following so this may not be relevant. Some years ago a works supper evening waited over an hour before being served with some very under done vegetables.

Cooking was apparently by propane from a permanent tank farm. Prolonged cold weather may have led to poor vaporisation.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No external space to store bottled gas, and about a grand to run mains gas in from the street last time I checked. I do have a couple of camping stoves, but no room in the kitchen to use them. I've been tempted a couple of times by proper French crepe makers, though I've never got round to buying one.

Within a couple of months, with a modicum of luck in finding a place I can afford. I've seen a few that look interesting. The sale's already been agreed on where I live, with exchange due within a week or so.

When I move, I may be asking a few questions.....

Reply to
John Williamson

Not if it was actually Propane, that will vapourise down to well below any temperature I've ever been in. Some gas is sold as a mix of butane and propane, and that would stop working after long enough below freezing, as the propane would vapourise, leaving the butane behind.

Cold weather *can* affect the regulators if they're too small for the job being done. Thank a couple of decades of living in caravans and boats for knowing that.

Reply to
John Williamson

Naah. Our hob runs on propane from big orange bottles outside. It continued to work fine even when it was -15 deg C last winter.

Reply to
Huge

Peanut oil might go hot enough, olive ceratinly won't, sunflower isn't bad.

Aye, I think its partly having the oil and pan seriously hot and the heatsource being able to replace that heat quickly. Electric hobs are pathetic with only a couple of kw and horrendous thermal inertia. A heavy skillet and steady heat (which you don't really get from the PW on/off control of most electric hobs) will help. But a thin pan and a nice 3 or 4 kw gas burner is much better...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It would have to be a very strict vegetarian who would starve themselves to death rather than eat meat... I don't eat meat but if push came to shove I'll would go out and kill, gut and prepare what ever I could catch.

Had to kill this morning, a young stoat that the cat had brought in. She'd got it by the neck and obviously done its spinal cord in somewhere after the connections to the front legs leave.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Since you're moving, this isn't a helpful comment, but I don't want to pay the large sum to get mains gas connected, and still have a gas hob. Bottled gas is the way forwards here - especially with the small amount of gas a hob uses. Our 13kg cylinders seem to last for ages.

Reply to
Clive George

Maybe an issue for large scale commercial cooking, but our hob worked entirely happily this winter, even on the stupidly cold nights.

Butane is a different matter. Boiling an electric kettle and pouring the water on the tank helped a lot ISTR. If I'd been in that kitchen with stoves failing something like that might have happened :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Ah - not much then. I'd pay that if it was that cheap for us :-)

Reply to
Clive George

I paid about =A3550 to Centrica last year to get two new gas connections to holiday lets we have. Despite their pipes going in the same trench they would have done it as two separate jobs if I hadn't pointed out to them how daft it was.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

As it was the plant dept. outing you can imagine the backchat just in earshot of mine host.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'll be surprised if they don't. Give them enough time, and a growth-limiting but non-lethal dose, and they'll be away. Such conditions will be found in the local drains if nowhere else.

Have a read on

Andy Champ