OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

On Wed, 25 May 2011 10:40:22 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" wrote: So you eat *only* lamb steak? *Nothing* else, that

It can be if you also drink Yerba like the Gauchos of Patagonia who for month on end would eat nothing but lamb and drink nothing but yerba mate. (pronounced 'ma' as in matter and 'tay' as in the river with the emphasis on the first syllable) Yerba has masses of minerals and vitamins you would otherwise absorb from fresh fruit and veg.

The only stuff that will grow naturally in southern Patagonia is a thorny bush and a high-silicate grass which are useless for humans but easily consumed by sheep. I had a vegetarian friend who lived in Patagonia and reckoned eating sheep was the next best thing. (Of course that might have just been her excuse not to be a strict vegetarian, but I like the story anyway.)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I wondered how long it would be before some one said that. B-) Don't forget animal based rennet used to make the cheese as well.

But this is an American Burger Joint, it'll have fries not chips so I expect vegetable oil for frying. Not much cheese these days uses animal based rennet either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sheep are, after all, only marginally more intelligent than grass.

Reply to
Huge

And why don't we chew the cud[1] and have compartmented stomachs?

[1] or worse, indulge in pica like rabbits and koalas.
Reply to
Steve Firth

"Arfa Daily" wrote: [snip]

Even those are weasel words Arfa. Cow's rectum is 100% beef in the distorted language of food.

You need him to be specific about the cuts used. He's probably being accurate and is not intending to deceive, sadly the cowboys use the same words with the intention to deceive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And every other non-ruminant herbivore.

("Thanks" for reminding me about that...)

Reply to
Huge

Personally I'd go for locally sourced & processed than for an actual cow type... (As long as your butcher can guarantee consistency - which is what I presume you'll need when selling stuff) However I know I'm lucky where I am - with several good farms inside a 10 mile radius and the abattoir < 2 miles away with a good local butcher and more farm shops and markets than you can shake a cowpat at (Both organic and non organic)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Yes, so beware of Bullring Burgers in a certain city! (I hope that doesn't actually exist - bit off-putting if so).

Reply to
PeterC

My word, we are all being a tad literal today, eh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I wouldn't want to eat a meal off one of those either. I am sure that having run a restuarant, you are well aware of the need to keep raw meat working surfaces well away from any other foodstuff. The problem I have with wooden plates is that cannot be guaranteed if some of the food is bloody meat.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

We will probably use the same veggy burgers that we used at the cafes we had. We had many veggy customers who came because of the fresh salads that we did, which included all sorts of beans and such, and the veggy burgers were very well received by these people. We'll have to see how they do at being cooked on our grill of course, before being able to make a final decision on whether we can use them, or have to look for an alternative, but in principle, yes. As far as we are concerned, they are customers the same as any other, and we will of course do the best we can to cater for them, within the limitations of the enterprise's concept.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If there are nutrients in that cut too, as is likely, a single bacterium can become a million in about seven hours.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'd love to, but I doubt these days that we would sell many ... ! When I was a kid, my local chip shop fried in lard, and his fryers were heated by live coke fires. He had a pile of coke in the corner of the shop, with a little hand shovel. Imagine the Elf n Safety and Environmental Health issues that that would throw up these days ! But the thing is, his chips were the best you have ever tasted. I think there are two reasons for this. First, the nice even heat provided by the coke beds, and secondly, the fact that you can get lard a lot hotter than vegetable oil. This is noticeable when you cook pancake batter. No matter how much you pre-heat vegetable oil in your pan, the resulting pancakes always have a slight rubbery 'sogginess' to them. OTOH, if you heat lard until the pan is smoking, and then pour your batter in, the resulting pancake is light, mottled golden, and slightly crispy and lacy around its edges. Yorkshire puddings cook better in lard, also.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Not all American chips are 'fries'. We are looking at a compromise between the two. Not exactly bloody great steak chips, but not Mickey D's bootlace fries either. Something about the size that you get in your typical chip shop, or that you would buy from the supermarket to put in your home freezer.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Granted.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You could sell 'em to me! I used to go out of my way when I lived in Hounslow to visit the chippy in Isleworth who still fried his chips in dripping. Then I went down the road to the other chippy for the fish, 'cos the guy who ran the dripping chippy couldn't fry fish to save his life.

There is a chippy in the Black Country Museum which still uses dripping, but I've not been there for a while, and forget whether they still use the coke range.

As for pancakes, you are *so* right.... It's a shame you can't use non-stick pans for them due to the high temperature needed.

Reply to
John Williamson

That must be what Tony Blair eats. You are what you eat after all.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.

The only time I've had food poisoning from pizza was where it was served using those laminated 'wood' serving trays as plates.

My friend said "strange, I had food poisoning last time I ate there too".

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not a "special sauce" by any chance?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

To pay for the fast car that your dentist drives around

Reply to
geoff