OT: Apprenticeships

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:34:45 -0000, "John Stumbles"

Understood. And it doesn't help with a war lord residing in Downing Street. At least with the Falklands 20+ years ago Argentina weren't declaring war globally, but with Al Queda we don't know where they might pop up - it only takes one person to release something noxious on the London Underground for example.
And not forgetting that thanks to Bliar the people of the UK are more exposed to terrorism than before, so the killing fields are not necessarily directly linked to whether you are in the war theatre or not.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
Others have suggested getting work as a sparkies' mate or suchlike, but if you're not particularly driven towards electrics you might consider doing a bit of labouring on sites to get a feel for what jobs do interest you. Just being around on a site should give you opportunities to chat with different trades and, if you get on with them, maybe try out different work. It should also help give you a measure of your own capabilities.
When I was starting out working as a plumber and general tradesman I had the good fortune to have a job working with a seasoned pro chippy/builder for a week or so dismantling and rebuilding a large shed. At first I was afraid I'd show myself up as a rank amateur, but as I found I was able to pull my weight I gathered confidence and realised that, whilst fine cabinet making is proabably not my vocation, I can do a useful and worthwhile day's work.
I'm sorry, I have no idea how you go about getting site work, but I expect going up to someone on a site and asking would be a good first step :-).
If you find you don't much like site work in itself but would rather be going out and working on your own there's plenty of opportunity to make a living doing this, once you know what area you want to work in.
As for training, if you've done As and Uni you'd probably find the pace of a full-time course at a Tech crushingly slow, but short concentrated courses for existing workers better (I'm basing this sweeping generalisastion on what I know about NVQ plumbing courses versus the ACS gas training).
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ a town is never big enough to support one lawyer, but it can always support two
Im kind of stuck between electrics and carpentry, they both sound like that would appeal to me but obviously not having experiance with either i think your right and ill probably benifit from working on site to get a little taste of each.
I think last time i was in the job center they had alot of general labouring advertisements, hopefully some of them wont mind if you havent got any on site experiance.
I have been abit put off by the chance i might have to start from nvq level 1 -2-3-4 part time or even full time without actually being employed in the trade, which looks like it would take a decade to complete without the actual experiance. I'd much rather get the experiance working in the trade, as a mate, apprentice or whatever, even if it is badly paid and im teaboy and cleaning up the saw dust, least it would give me the chance to learn on the job for a few years and then get the qualifications. But im not sure how the courses are arranged and what is teh best route, if i could get some experiance first hand which is what i want and then do some short intensive courses i would. Has anyone got any advice on this?
Im sure if i went to a college they would just tell me to start from square one then do 4 more 1-2 year courses after that as its alot of money for them.
john

Just
different
should
the
-+
support

that
labouring
My guess is as long as you've got 2 arms, 2 legs and a head with some sense in it and you're prepared to use the above you'll be welcome.

level
the
trade,
on
how
intensive
square
Yup - colleges make money by: (a) selling courses to students straight out of school who are generally majoring in sex, drugs and rock'n'roll with a minor course in whatever it is they're enrolled in :-) (b) selling training to industry, which expects serious value for money e.g. plumber to CORGI-registered gas fitter in 8 days.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:59:25 -0000, "King Fu"

I would suggest that you have nothing to lose by contacting a college and asking if you could speak with one of the senior lecturers.
I did that about 18 months ago when I was considering taking my C&G2381 certification. I spoke (on the telephone) to the chap who runs the electrical engineering section at the college - he was head of department. I found his input to be quite valuable in so far that it explained a few things for me.
I now have my C&G2381 certificate. Doesn't make me an electrician, but at least I have some idea of what it's all about (and attending the training course taught me that there was an awful lot I didn't know about electricity installation despite having played with it for over 30 years!).
At the end of the day the world is out there and it's up to you to be part of it - it ain't gonna happen if you sit on your butt (but I know you know that or you wouldn't be asking here ;)). I've never had a problem knocking on people's doors and asking for a chance - the worst they can do is say no. But you would be very surprised at the number of people who want to say yes!
I went from hardware support to applications support and then on to application software development due to my door-knocking ability. These were not routine career advances.

If your interested in something other than electrical work , British Gas ( yes I know its a sore point in this news group) are starting there 2004 recruitment campaign . Try this link (http://www.britishgasacademy.co.uk /) good luck . and no I have no connection with BG.