OT Apprentices must really like bollockings

That sounds like a general attitude problem.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If it's a work vehicle then presumably you're responsible for enforcing a safe system of work, and they could sue you if they did go through the windscreen and you'd let them travel without the seatbelt?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just two questions - how do you enforce that "safe system of work"?

And surely the 'charge' should be the refusal to wear the obligatory piece of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - i.e the safety harness holding him to the seat of the vehicle *OR* the wearing of a protective helmet and full-face visor?

Ah well, apprentices will be apprentices I suppose (but how the f**k can 25 year-olds+ be called an apprentices that really is the question?)

Reply to
Unbeliever

You do not start the engine until the seatbelt is worn. If the seatbelt becomes unworn you pull over at the next safe opportunity.

As they probably didn't do shoelaces until about 12 ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Same as any other H+S requirement at work. If they don't do what's mandated, anything from an informal warning to instant dismissal depending on work policy and severity.

If you're asking how do you enforce eg wearing a seatbelt when there's no supervision, the answer varies. Most people wouldn't try, but if eg HSE noticed a company had a large number of injuries caused by crashes while not wearing a belt, they would demand something be done. First step would be training, and if people still ignored the rule, you'd need more drastic measures. Options include in-car/van monitoring (eg a camera?), not allowing people to travel by car/van, stuff like that. Fortunately people tend not to be dim enough to let it get that far.

Reply to
Clive George

Can they use a knife and fork?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Shoe laces are not tied these days but left loose and tucked into the side of the trainer.

You don't need a knife and fork for burger and fries or pizza.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I haven't bothered reading it, but it was always my understanding the driver is responsible for kids and adults for themselves.

I did not recall 14 being the cut off age - I would have assumed 16, but near enough...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good point -

I do believe Adam could insist the apprentice wears steel toe capped boots, hi-viz vest and gloves if he wishes to. It would nto be illegal not to, but it could be in breach of employment of Adam if it is stated as a requirement up front (cf building sites).

Non compliance = justified disciplinary.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Obviously you must be a really smooth driver. Make a few panic stops at random and rearrange his face on the screen, maybe post the video to Youtube :)

Reply to
The Other Mike

What if they're a child for non-obvious reasons, which perhaps applies to most apprentices? ;)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I don't know whether to be saddened, astonished or intrigued by the lack of reading ability in this group. Is it down to poor education or is there a far higher incidence of dyslexia amongst DIYers on usenet? I strongly suspect the latter. It may well be that dyslexia and "being good with your hands" go "hand-in-hand" so to speak. Nerdy types who hang out here may also be more inclined to be dyslexic (myself included). ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

When you say child is that the physical age or a mental one ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I waht you maen konw

:)

Reply to
Adrian C

Well of course everyone who is *right* has worked this out already. ;-)

Of course being right in law doesn't make it right in a place of work or the right kind of attitude for an apprentice. I'd tell him to walk. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Apart from the RTA, the Safety Elves might have words if there were to be a problem, and the driver hadn't refused to move until the belt was fastened.

Reply to
John Williamson

Agreed.

David

Reply to
David

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt on. He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors on for some reason. Because I was looking down, and unprepared I went straight into the screen, and had a wonderful duck egg for weeks. I was amazed at how much force was involved. If it had happened at 30, I'm sure I would have gone through the screen.

Reply to
Jethro

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt on. He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors on for some reason. Because I was looking down, and unprepared I went straight into the screen, and had a wonderful duck egg for weeks. I was amazed at how much force was involved. If it had happened at 30, I'm sure I would have gone through the screen.

Reply to
Jethro

One of them once did walk home. He threw an empty coke can out the van window. I pulled up and told him to go and pick it up. When he got out the van I drove off.

Reply to
ARWadsworth