OT Apprentice wages

That seems quite high for those days - although, as you said, it was in London. In fact I got £2 and six shillings per week, but that was after deductions - which weren't very much, my gross wage was certainly less than £3.00 (I think £2-15/-). I used to cycle 8 miles to work and 8 miles back, because I couldn't afford the bus fare - happy days!

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Yes, I know. I spent three years at a building that said "Polytechnic" on the front, took final exams on paper that said "Polytechnic" on the top, and got a degree certificate that said "University" on the top. That was over twenty years ago.

But, even with that taken into account, there are STILL a fuckload more people in tertiary education than there ever were.

Reply to
Adrian

(although we didn't need to hear it three times!)

But not from direct government input. From overseas fees, and lots of other income that universities have to compete for.

The mistake was exploding the numbers in the first place without putting adequate funding in place.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, I know. I spent three years at a building that said "Polytechnic" on the front, took final exams on paper that said "Polytechnic" on the top, and got a degree certificate that said "University" on the top. That was over twenty years ago.

But, even with that taken into account, there are STILL a fuckload more people in tertiary education than there ever were.

Reply to
Adrian

Daily Mail. Say no more.

Reply to
Adrian

Daily Mail. Say no more.

Reply to
Adrian

Daily Mail. Say no more.

Reply to
Adrian

Actually St. Albans but the Company had originated from London.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Wednesday 03 July 2013 21:52 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Perhaps you can help me here Bob (my dept has no undergrads so I don't have any contact with this side of things)

1) Fees are paid by student loan with fairly easy repayment terms - I'm pretty clear about this part; 2) How does cost of living/rent work? My limited understanding was that was means tested with the possibility of the government paying some - but for 2 working parents, it was likley the government contribution is more or less zero? 3) If (2) is there a different type of student loan similar to (1) that can be obtained? 2/3 was the bit I thought parents ended up paying unless darling Willoughby was of a mind to take 3 part time MacDonalds and evening pub jobs on to pay his own way (which is one of the typical newspaper lines).

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

If its any help, my grandson whose parents make very little money and who can just about get by with assistance from the bank of mum and dad gets nothing.

He pays his own way by working all weekend and most evenings as a warehouseman in a cash and carry warehouse. He also works during the week. He's taking a computer science degree and I don't know how he finds the time to study as well as support himself. His girlfriend is in much the same boat. Her family aren't wealthy, living just above minimum wage. She's working most evenings in a fast food "restaurant" to pay her way.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Wednesday 03 July 2013 22:01 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Well, this is back to my pet peeve. We should have stuck with less students prefereably doing solid degree courses. But all means attract the foreign students.

Now that we are in the mess of having a lot of perfectly interesting but effectively useless (in term sof being able to do anything much productive with them afterwards) my take is that we should be offering grants for engineering, science and core arts. If you want to do "film in the 1950's", pay for it yourself.

The reason I include core arts as productive is that is what certain civil servants, journalists and teachers may have traditionally taken, particularly English, History, Economics or a foreign language. And by god the newspapers would be better off with journalists holding a range of proper degrees.

The remaining problem is: what to do with everyone else? The days of entry level apprenticeships at the Post Office (telephones), GEC and the BBC are gone, much for the worse. There are a *lot* of people who are smart and can make a good career the old way without academic qualifications.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The student pays it out of 1, plus whatever they earn in a part time job or three. Unless they've pissed their loan up the wall, and can't be arsed to work, in which case it comes down to the parents.

A bit like real life, really, but for the fact that the loan has to be paid back out of their future earnings.

Reply to
Adrian

The student pays it out of 1, plus whatever they earn in a part time job or three. Unless they've pissed their loan up the wall, and can't be arsed to work, in which case it comes down to the parents.

A bit like real life, really, but for the fact that the loan has to be paid back out of their future earnings.

Reply to
Adrian

On Wednesday 03 July 2013 22:14 Fredxx wrote in uk.d-i-y:

When I was at York Uni in 1986, we have 90 odd UG's per year and tutorial groups of about 6. there were regular supervisor (overall tutor) meetings too.

It's one of the reasons I chose York, over say, Southampton who really did not seem to have their act together at the time.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The student pays it out of 1, plus whatever they earn in a part time job or three. Unless they've pissed their loan up the wall, and can't be arsed to work, in which case it comes down to the parents.

A bit like real life, really, but for the fact that the loan has to be paid back out of their future earnings.

Reply to
Adrian

On Wednesday 03 July 2013 22:14 Fredxx wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Here are the King's College (London) fees:

9k for EU/Home students and

15-19k for oversees, unless it's clinical in which case it's 35k

Those are all per annum.

Now it may be true that the cost of the course per student is less than 9k in some cases (say maths, arts with no lab time and 200 students / year) but the foreigners are very much subsidising the locals.

I am wondering when the time will come when going to the USA will become similar or even favourable in costs. That will be the time we are truely screwed. For now, I've heard it said that US unis (well decent ones) are currently a lot costlier compared to here.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 04 July 2013 02:19 Arfa Daily wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I think the Open University is going to make long term gains. You have the chance to work, earning immediately whilst studying and the OU is very good at what they do.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 04 July 2013 08:41 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ok - I did not know that the student loan covered any except fees.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 04 July 2013 08:40 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

BTW your posts are appearing 3 times :-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

There a maintenance loan of about £5000 if living away from home - it's lumped in with the tuition loan. Rather less if living at home - about £4000. A component of that is means tested and students with 'rich' (FSVO rich) parents will lose about 35% of that.

It's lumped in with the fees loan and there are no increased repayments.

It's a different loan but it's all lumped into one for repayment purposes.

It's not enough, certainly if living away from home - but then the grant never was either. Many students have part time jobs but that's to be expected.

Reply to
Bob Eager