OT Apprentice wages

They will rise from 2.65 per hour to 2.68 per hour. That's a whole 1.20 a week extra for working a 40 hour week.

Would you still want your child to take an apprenticeship?

Reply to
ARW

£107.20 for a 40hr week. Damn near twice JSA for a 16-24yo.

How much do Uni students get paid?

Reply to
Adrian

More to the point, would you? Is there any guarantee that you'll try and teach them something?

Reply to
stuart noble

If the apprentice master is a good teacher, yes.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Better than having to pay for the apprenticeship, as once was the practice.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It's guaranteed that I could teach them something. It's up to them if they want to learn.

Reply to
ARW

I was paid peanuts when I was an apprentice and I was worked like a dog. My C&G is still valid but worthless. I should have learnt to play that guitar.

Mr Pounder

Rent £60-ish a week, gas+leccy+water £20 or so a week, food another £

20 or so a week, transport at least another tenner, that's £110 so far, p resumably clothes, TV license, phone, books, newspapers, etc., costs a nega tive amount...

JGH

Reply to
jgh

At one time the apprentice would pay to learn from the master so, on balance, its not a bad deal really.

David

Reply to
David P

Most "students" don't get any pay and even have to pay for the course themselves. A decent apprenticeship is a good option.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

that pays for a room in many areas. I'm not sure you'd get a broom cupboard for that in London.

a grand per bedroom per year? no way. closer to 1500pa per 5 beds, or 300pa each = £6 pw

£15's enough, thats £81 so far

I walked or biked at that age.

£81pw leaves £26 more for other bits. Generous no, but sufficient.

egative amount...

newspapers? How many 16yr olds buy a tv license?

If theyre any good they can more outside of those 40hrs without much troubl e. People expect everything given to them on a plate now - and when it is, as in this case, they then whine its not enough, and cant be arsed to do th e work. Thankfully not everyone, just the majority.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

When I was an apprentice in the early sixties I got just over £2.00 per week - and we worked from 8.30am until 6.00pm Monday to Friday, and until 1.00pm on Saturday. In comparison - even taking inflation into account - £107 per week seems not too bad.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I was paid peanuts when I was an apprentice and I was worked like a dog. My C&G is still valid but worthless.

I semi agree there. ONC seems worthless these days, all the employers bang on about at interviews is Not Very Qualified level 1- yada yada yada

IIRC that NVQ was derived from the old City & Guilds stuff inc' ONC and the like, yet is ignored.

DILLIGAF? No..... I've been out of work for 6 weeks in 30 years... so f*ck the current "buzzword" employers.

Reply to
Nthkentman

They still do, in effect. The wages won't keep anyone clothed, fed and housed, so they're dependent on Mum & Dad for subsidies.

My son's employer had a big hike in insurance premiums. because he had an apprentice on the sites.

We had tp pay that or he wouldn't have had a job.

Reply to
Onetap

"Wages" are paid for working. Apprentices don't work as such - they're learning how to do a job, so such things as minimum wage don't really apply.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

As long as they are treated as apprentices and not cheap labour, yes.

Reply to
AC

Who says you are a good teacher? Knowing stuff does not make you able to teach it at all.

In fact, you have already indicated that you are not a good teacher, as you have already worked out your excuse should some one failed to learn from you. You would just say the student didn't want to, students fault. Cant possibly be your fault, right?

Hope you are not typical.

Reply to
AC

On Wednesday 03 July 2013 00:25 AC wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In this type of work, it should be sufficient that the "master" is an expert in his field. It's not the teacher's job to entertain the apprentice and stop his attention wandering. This is not primary school.

The apprentice's job is to watch the teacher and ask pertinent questions and generally do what he's told.

A "bad" teacher would be one who did not show the apprentice anything nor let him have a go, with suitable correction of mistakes - or a teacher who was actually a bit crap at his job.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I guess the first skill any junior employee learns is how to get along with people you don't like. My first boss was an egocentric tyrant but, once I toed the line, he was actually a dream to work for, and 50 years later I still find myself asking what he would have done in a certain situation

Reply to
stuart noble

Yep . In fact eldest son is an apprentice mechanic, he is in his fourth year (no more college, "yay" qouth he). We have already had people ask him for advice/look things over etc . He will also be a (relatively, more than the dole/dead end job) high earner when he is fully 'time served'.

Living at home[1] he has electricity/food etc supplied he gives his mum digs (the amount is unknown to me but it is nothing like JHGs numbers). Indeed he has enough 'spare' to run a small car (of course he maintains/services and diagnoses any problems with it himself using his spare time but the employers ramp etc).

[1] Fully understand not all 20 year olds can/want to live at home
Reply to
soup