OT Anybody remember these?

Yep and the amusement arcade machine that allowed you to look at the bones in your hand.

Reply to
Nightjar

Did these actually work on the same diffraction principle as "X-Ray Specs"?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It was a genuine X-ray machine. You put your hand up into a slot at the back which gave you just about enough room to wiggle your fingers. There was a screen at the front that showed you all the bones as you did so. It was of fairly limited entertainment value, so most people only tried it once, which was probably as well.

Reply to
Nightjar

:-0

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

They did have a lower window for the child. I remember being put on one in the early 1960s (aged about 6) and seeing the bones in my feet.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I got a pair of those as a cover-mount on a comic. It was just two aperture with a feather stuck on each.

Very disappointed I was.

Remember those twirly card disks with the string? Loads of fun, but I havn't seen kids playing with them for years.

Reply to
Graham.

Oh, yes - at least one of the local shoe shops in Streatham had one, though I recall the design being a bit more streamlined. I can vaguely remember using one at least once...

Reply to
docholliday93

I had something like that made from 2 metal disks with a loose abrasive disk sandwiched between them. Each outer disk had a small piece of flint embedded in it producing very impressive sparks when you got it spinning.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

How long would one of these keep the X-box generation occupied for?

Andy Burns

Ooh yeah. Lots of plastic and tinplate toys had abrasive wheels and flints in my day. Another thing stopped by the H&S police I suppose.

Reply to
Graham.

Oh yes, I remember having fun with those too.

Present day kids might be amused for a few seconds I suppose. They'd probably think of them as the sorts of toys we played with before we had electricity.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I remember the "Hilly Billy Banger". Free with the "Topper". Must've been in the 50s. Lasted about half an hour of serious use.

Reply to
harryagain

Here is a picture of the one I remember. My mother wouldn't let me anywhere near it.

Dave W

I certainly remember the shoe fluoroscopes being touted as late as the early 60s, but they were never in any shoe shops near me, which was probably for the good. Otoh, I distinctly recall thinking the whole-body fluoroscope was as cool as f*ck and desperately wanted a go on one. Again, it's just as well I missed my chance.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Can't imagine anything being named a Pedoscope now, though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon