OT: Any recommended builders?

I apologise for the off topic post, but I couldn't find a group that might be relevant. I am hoping someone here can help.

I live in Lancashire in the North West of England. I am looking to have my garage converted into a spare room. I have had a quote off "the garage conversion" company

for nearly £6k which seems quite steep for essentially building a wall with a window, and creating a side door.

Can anyone recommend any good companies/builders that do this sort of work. I haven't had much luck with local builders as they never return phone calls or turn up when they say they will.

Reply to
Philip Rayne

I think there's a bit more to it than that Philip, because the structure will have to be modified to comply with various regulations (covering ventilation, thermal insulation etc.) if you make it into a "habitable room". When I had a similar job done some years ago, part of the garage was walled off to make my "office" and the existing external wall of the garage had a new inner skin of thermal blocks added with a cavity between, the floor was broken out and re-laid with a damp-proof membrane and an insulating layer, and other work was also required. Your quote, therefore, may not be so unreasonable, but even if I knew the size and extent of the work, I am not qualified to comment or pass judgment on it.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

In Dublin, my neighbour was recently quoted 19,500 Euro to convert a 250 sq.ft. garage, to place a window where the garage door was (it had a door to the house already). It was pre-wired, pre-plumbed, cavity insulated, with a DPC and had a pitched roof. He shopped around and his best quote was 12,500 Euro, so £6k (~9,000 Euro) does not sound that bad for the work that could be involved.

Kind Regards,

Derek.

Reply to
Derek

OK. Thanks for that. I guess I was just hoping it was going to be cheaper!

Reply to
Philip Rayne

I was thinking of doing this to my garage and worked out a figure not very far short of this for the work, using professionals only for bricklaying and inserting holes in structural walls. Remember, once you've built the wall and inserted the window, you're around 20% done. There's all sorts to be done with insulation, flooring, damp proofing, electrics, propping walls etc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

that might

My mate just had this done (she lives in Midlands). Integral garage converted to office/studio - replaced up/over door with wall & window, knock an internal doorway through into house, added electrics etc, she paid around £6k - so looks like your quote was about right.

-- Jan

Reply to
mate