OT - any Raspberry PI / Debian Squeeze experts out there ?

My 3 year old Dell screen has DVI, as does my 4-year old Dell bought to replace a 10-year old Diamondtron that has turned up its toes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Can do both I believe.

The model B has ethernet on board. The model A can use a USB to ethernet adaptor.

Reply to
John Rumm

In my case I have DVI capable monitors, and video cards, but not a dual head KVM switch with DVI ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The best place to ask about that would be on the raspberry pi forum:

've not tried any slide shows. Large 10mpixel photos I have viewed take quite a while to be rescaled on the pi. Don't think it would do complex changes.

mark

Reply to
mark

Bit of an over-generalization, some things work well with a Python JIT, and the Python imaging library is a wrapper for a C shared library anyway.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

In message , David WE Roberts writes

There's been a safety recall on the cpc power supplies for anyone who is interested in their house not burning down

Reply to
geoff

Oh er, bought a USB supply from them not that long ago for another project but I have feeling it's the same one that they supply with the Pi kits. Any clues as to part numbers etc?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Except the Model A doesn't exist as a saleable product and there is a remote possibility it never will.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Its specifically issued with the R-pi

I've sent the old one back freepost and the replacement is FOC (i.e. ended up with a free PSU)

give them a ring or email them if you're not sure

Reply to
geoff

Exactly. I'm running this 'ere monitor at a decent resolution and the picture quality is perfectly fine; having to "upgrade" to something that gives me exactly the same end result seems like a waste.

I'm sure there are applications that do benefit from DVI, but that doesn't mean that VGA is suddenly bad all across the board just because something better might exist for certain cases.

None of my TVs have anything other than RF* input, incidentally, but that's still good enough for watching the odd half-hour of broadcast dross or the occasional film (composite->RF converter box betwen DVD and TV).

  • well, I do have one with S-video, but the vertical sync's collapsed and ICBA to fix it.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The reason it doesn't have VGA is because the SoC produces HDMI and Composite video natively. To produce VGA would need a differert SoC or an adapter and neither fit into the target price of $35.

HDMI to VGA adapters are becoming affordable - if £25 is affordable.

It's usable. No worse than a BBC Micro was 30 years ago. I've displayed

640x480 on my (tube) TV - just about readable. Not really acceptible in this modern day and age though, but ...

It is surprisingly more than good enough to enable me to watch videos on my old tube TV though - quality appears better than some highly compressed boradcast stuff on the same TV..

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Plus £50 delivery from China, I expect.

YMMV, but composite is not acceptable for me. It was just about OK on a low-res BBC Micro but not now.

Yuck.

Reply to
Mark

Pretty sure that they don't have a specific Pi PSU. They have generic USB supply that they use in the Pi kits but is also available seperately. Will have to dig about later.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A lot of modern mobile phone PSUs will do the job. Just check it can supply enough current.

Reply to
Mark

This is a scan of a letter from CPC that someone posted on twatter

on the Raspberry Pi forum

The Other Mike

It's often cheaper to buy from China and have it delivered than drive say five miles to a local supplier and pick it up. Similarly if a UK based online supplier has a minimum order level for free delivery, it's often cheaper to go on ebay, buy a similar or identical item from China, and just wait a week or two.

Reply to
The Other Mike

They must be *old* monitors then.

My current monitor has two DVI-D ports, one HDMI port and one VGA port. Next generation will probably have no VGA. Our TV has four HDMI ports and just one VGA.

I think you'll find it quite easy to buy a new monitor with only DVI-D and/or HDMI inputs nowadays.

Reply to
tinnews

I'd like to know too. I bought a generic USB supply from them too, but ot with a Pi.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That makes the assumption people have a modern mobile phone PSU... My phone is about 8 years old might be a older. Makes voice calls, handles texts, allows data, what else do you wanta phone to do?

I'll be interested in how it's going to start working on 3G as per the flyer I got with this months bill though. B-)

As for Pi PSU's not sure now having hada look at the CPC site. The images in the kits show a hardwired cable on the PSU. Mine is a USB supply with detachable cable. I don't suppose anyone has the details of the recalled one. No obvious mention of a recall on the CPC site either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The affected part is CPC part No. PW03039 a PowerPax SW4142, SW4142-R or SW4142-N.

The letter says it's just a case problem that could expose live bits, rather than a fire risk.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice