OT: Any good at maths?

I got 100%. The challenge was maintaining the will to live whilst w-a-i-t-i-n-g for the next page to load. 250+ elements (not quite sure what is defined as an element) per page according to Opera.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Arguably some of the questions were more a test of reading ability. I nearly got the Mt Fuji one wrong because I initially missed the 'August' bit and took 27 days, then as it didn't fit revisited the question.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Assuming the current laws have been in place for over 100 years, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes its curious. a smart person reads it, sees the 'deliberate catch' and then sees another catch the question maker didn't see themselves.

Then someone comes along and shouts him down thinking he didn't see the FIRST catch...

ah well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sums are a sub-division of maths

Reply to
charles

I did that, only one I got wrong - and that's after telling my eldest who's recently been taking his 11+ to make sure he reads the questions carefully.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Well give the multiple choice options available, that does rather narrow down the interpretations of the question...

Reply to
John Rumm

Surely if they're doing mathematics, they are a sub-set ;)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I forgot the 4 revs per minute. Otherwise it would have been 100%

Reply to
The Other Mike

The one about the ride to the river an back also had a small degree of subtle misdirection in it. If you worked on the total time and distance (i.e. 7km in 15 mins) the answer was obvious, however if you calculated the speed out and speed back then averaged them by adding and dividing by two (i.e. without taking into account the different durations of the journeys and hence the need to weight the components differently), you would calculate one of the offered wrong answers)

Reply to
John Rumm

I should stress that although I find the above topics fascinating I make no claim to actually be able to understand much more than three fifths of bugger all about most of them.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Blimey. Very impressive. That must have taken ages to create. He actually has a pretty decent voice too nevermind being smart enough to both understand string theory and also create such a complex video.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Or

Assume the time not mentioned is from the end of the previous season, throu gh the open season to the start of the season following.

It IS a test, after all!

The Germans came second, because they allowed for the most possibilities The United States of Americans came first because they answered the questio n their way and gave their papers to their lawyers.

The French came a close third behind the Germans because they just answered with a shrug, put cheese on it and ate the paper (with coffee and creamed truffles in creamed garlic and a little side dressing of French mustard and croutons and to follow, a caram....) but threatened to set fire to the sch ool.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

He has done quite a number of similar vids as well...

Reply to
John Rumm

I do have direct experience of current education standards having been a school governor and having children at school. My experience is limited to good state schools.

The kind of easy maths/english tests that get posted on the media do not look familiar to me. My kids have often brought home challenging maths/science problems which can sometimes baffle well-educated adults. I can say that my kids benefit from a better education that I did.

GCSE exams are divided into two tiers. I've only seen the higher tier (more like O level standard) questions. Maybe the aforementioned tests are like the lower tier (c.f. CSE).

Reply to
Mark

+1 ;>)

...the multi-choice answers proffered obviously (to some) being part of the question.....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

acapellascience

Reply to
mogga

I think that is one of the problems.

However any exam that such high proportions get an A or A* is useless as it can't differentiate.

The intelligence of pupils as a group will be pretty much identical from year to year and what we need to identify is which are the brighter/more motivated ones in that year. That doesn't call for fixed mark boundaries and associated efforts to "ensure" that the exam is equally challenging each year. It calls for marking as a number and then moving the mark boundaries so that the top 5% of scores are rewarded with a A, the next

7% a B, 10% a C, etc. (figures plucked at random). After all, in applications for work or for higher education, they will be competing against each other, not against an exam.

If the exam is easier one year, the marks will be higher, but the same percentage of pupils will score and A, a B, etc. As an extreme example, the top mark one year could be 100% and the next 75%, but still 5% of pupils would get an A, etc. I'm sure this was how it was done years ago, but it was dropped when some years produced very narrow grade bands and that was considered "unfair" in some way.

That would retain the easily understood grade system, allowing employers to compare applicants in the same way, but discriminate clearly between abilities/effort.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

SteveW wrote in news:l7ngjv$q61$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I haven't seen the tests referred to, but the GCSE higher tier is nowhere the standard of the 1950s O Level, which required knowledge of how to prove Pythagoras's theorem and do some differentiation. GCSE higher tier today is not much more advanced than the 11-plus.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

+1

I am pretty sure that's how they used to be marked when I was doing O levels... (early to mid 80s)

Reply to
John Rumm