OT: Any experience of HP Laserjet 2605dn printer?

This looks like a reasonable desktop laser colour printer with auto-duplex and an ethernet connection - the ("remanufactured") toners aren't too awful either. Has anyone any experience of them, or a recommendation for something else with the same features?

Reply to
Nospam

Don't.

The colour shifts dramatically over time. Eventually you get almost no toner from one cart (the bottom one), a third from the next one up and two thirds from the next (or something like that). I have had mine apart to clean it out and improve the situation but it is not for the faint-hearted. There is an excellent site giving instructions and explanations.

Also uses a relatively large amount of electricity in ordinary standby mode. (I read that up somewhere - have not measured myself.) And can be quite clunky - certainly not something to use at night with others sleeping, or trying to.

In other ways it works quite well - PS and PCL, Windows & OSX. Duplexing is fine. Networking is reliable.

Reply to
polygonum

My 2600n (uses the same toner cartridges) is very clunky and the mirrors tend to get dusty and require cleaning or the image quality/colour suffers. Had to do mine 3 times since I've had it - first two times were because I used to leave it on standby and the fan exacerbates the problem.

Currently have an issue with an original 3/4 full magenta toner cart which is streaking and probably requires replacing, (common problem according to Google) but still trying to decide if its worth putting that much money into the printer or get a newer one.

The 2605n might have had all these issues fixed of course....

Reply to
Lee

I don't have one of these but I've had a CP2025dn for over a year with no issues. The 'dn' indicates that it also has auto-duplex and a network port; it has a USB port as well. I put some more memory in it because it was cheap to do so.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I've had a 2605DN for at least 5 years with no issues. Mine's only had domestic use and has printed 4168 pages apparently. I did have problems with extra toner on the prints (like a light grey background) solved by giving up with cheap re-fills and only using genuine HP cartridges.

It is quite a big printer though. My in-laws have a Samsung CLP-320N which is far smaller and seems to work fine, but no Duplex mode.

Reply to
AlanD

I've had about 4 of that family of printers with and without scanner and duplex. The second one was purchased because the unit complete with full toners was a lot cheaper than buying a set of toners alone.

The toner and chips were (are?) readily available and I found it quite easy to refill them with the help of a soldering iron with a piece of flared 15mm copper pipe as a bit which is used to melt holes in the new and waste toner compartments on each of the four cartridges.

Refilling can be a bit messy and the cartridges eventually start to leak and not print well so I did for a while buy commercially refilled cartridges which I found to vary considerably in quality.

A little over a year ago I bought an epson px720wd inkjet which I use with a continuous ink system which is used well every day and doesn't miss a beat. The Epson has proved as cheap as chips to run and is quieter and faster than the laserjet - I can't believe all the trouble and expense I had with the laser...

djornsk

I don't like the HPs, slow and noisy. The Brother HL4150CDN seems a better device. Fast, quiet, duplex, colour, Ethernet and also supports security printing if required. Prices seem to float around I've seen them as low as £160 and as high as £400, so careful shopping needed.

The HP cartridges seem cheap but the are only good for 2000 pages at most. Other printer makers aim for 4000-4500 pages.

On pence per page the HP is around 2.5p, Brother around 1p.

If you go for remanufactured cartridges the Brother is even cheaper at £65 for a full set of four cartridges.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks for the info but today I had a chat with a very helpful lady at "Printerbase" and decided to order a Samsung CLP680nd. It's slightly smaller than some of the others and for £219 (with cashback, +VAT) with a 5 yr on-site warranty and full (2000/1500 page) cartridges it can't be a bad deal.

  • I have no connection with Printerbase; I bought from them because Sharon was so helpful.
Reply to
Nospam

and only 200 quid for a set of toner cartridges...

Reply to
The Other Mike

Yes, they're a bit more expensive than some but Samsung ship with full cartridges (unlike HP) and I don't do enough printing to make the delta cost significant. Presumably there will be "remanufactured" cartridges and re-fills available once it's been around a bit longer. Only time will tell whether it was a good choice.

Reply to
Nospam

Presumably you taken it out and given it a shake?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice