OT: Another Telly Query

You have an old box that doesn't support "split NIT". It may be there were/are firmware updates that fix this issue but whether they are still being broadcast for your box will determine if it can be fixed on your box.

Alternatively, if your box is too old and there's no update available you're stuck with it. Is it listed in the PDF at

funkyoldcortina

800 range. Not clear whether it will still be working after the digital changeover but at least the list gives me a telephone number to call.
Reply to
Roger Chapman

Much depends on the brand of sky box. Many are crap at widescreen signalling.

Reply to
John Rumm

On what basis do you assume that the non-use of the library access arose from choice? You should get out more and then maybe you would learn more of the circumstances in which many people live.

Reply to
hugh

My nearest library is about 40 miles away, and the bus only runs there on Tuesday and Friday.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Get off your high horse and learn what access means.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Therefore you have access to it. Maybe not convenient access, but access nevertheless. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was talking about my mother's case. I don't kknow which case you were talking about.

Reply to
John Williamson

Following the logic of our friend you do have Internet access - just means you got to the library on Tuesday and come home on Friday :-( Zimples as they say.

Reply to
hugh

I think John unfortunately he is not clever enough to be a smart arse. I would recommend a career change for him. Perhaps he could make a successful wanker - if he's not too old.

Reply to
hugh

So, you consider access to the internet to be "available" if you can be bothered to take an 80 mile round trip by bus on a specified day, then queue for a machine behind others who need it to find a job?

Then having to get someone to read what's on the screen, because it's too small for you to read?

Anything's *possible*. If I wanted to do it badly enough, you or I could go to the Moon, or currently at least, as far as LEO. My threshold for not bothering with the internet is somewhat lower, but is often reached when the 3G or other wireless signal is too weak.

Reply to
John Williamson

It's a three mile walk from the bus stop, half of it up a steep hill. The local authorities seem to think that counts as access. I don't.

Which is why we had what-passes-for-broadband-in-the-sticks installed as soon as it was available.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Any other 'what ifs' you can drag out of what passes for a brain? BTW, *I* wouldn't have to get someone to read it for me. If you do, go to an optician.

So not to the moon.

Perhaps you'd do better using your library...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So, if *you* don't have trouble reading a small, dirty screen covered in fingerprints while being distracted by the screaming kid in the pushchair, then nobody else will? And you would, of course, be willing and able to take a bus ride to the local library or other public internet point at any time you wished to post your drivel?

Anything *you* can do, anyone can do?

Give it a few years and enough money....

It only took the Yanks eight years from scratch in the 1960s, and they still have the designs. I'd need Bill Gates's reputed fortune to do it, though.

Why? *I* get internet access anywhere I can receive a decent cellphone signal. There are only 3 locations I go to regularly where I have problems. These are Maidstone services, a chateau just East of Paris, and some rooms in a hotel I use in Normandy.

But I wasn't talking about *my* internet access, I was talking about how my mother can't access the internet, as against your claim that she can, even though you don't know the facts in her case.

Reply to
John Williamson

As it happens I have two libraries within walking distance. And countless shops offering internet services.

Quite likely if they have the desire to.

Let me ask you a direct question. Does your mother wish to be on the internet at home? Has she already got the necessary computer skills?

[snip]

Which one of those locations does your mother live in?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"The number you have dialled has not been recognised".

The box is a Ferguson DVT600. The number is for Thomson. There is a link to thomson-broadband.com which turns into technicolor who also have a .co.uk address but even that doesn't admit to any Ferguson equipment.

The link cited above did at least provide me with a 16 page pdf instruction manual which is a good deal more comprehensive than the 4 page leaflet I had previously but even that does not address the problem of the 800 series numbers.

Oh well at least I have the requisite channels and given that I can get them now I presume I will be able to retune and get the replacements in September, albeit still with the 800 series.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Irrelevant. There are cost implications. Nobody does free internet to the home.

She is not alone in this, a lot of people are trying to survive on the basic state pension, you just don't hear about them in here, as posters are selected from the group of people who can afford internet access. Many pensioners have to decide whether to be warm or eat in the Winter, a phone is essential for safety, but the internet can't be afforded. Too expensive internet = unavailable internet.

Reply to
John Williamson

If only you would. There's a very big difference from not wanting/needing/ being able to afford the internet (and a computer) to not having internet

*access*. Or indeed it being available. But if you are so incensed by this why not provide it for your mother?
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)