OT And the apprentice once said

"If you want to contact me after work hours you will have to text me as I will not answer the phone for work calls after work"

Fair enough.

He has just not answered his phone twice and I have no intention of texting him.

All I wanted to let him know was that he need not be at work at 5.30am in the morning as the job has changed and he can arrive at work at 7.30am.

Reply to
ARW

Does this come into the category of cruel and unusual punishments?

:-)

Reply to
newshound

Won't your morning coffee and bacon roll that the apprentice is supposed to buy you on the way in be a bit cold by then?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Why not?

How to win friends and influence enemies.

Reply to
Fredxxx

For fun.

Reply to
ARW

You stop winding me up and I'll stop pissing in your coffee.

Reply to
alan_m

OK - I suppose it will net him an extra 2 hours pay.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Seriously? If someone tells their employer that they will not answer the phone for work calls, it's their problem. Perhaps the employer has no access to a texting enabled device at the time of the call. Bet the same little f****it would expect all manner of special treatment "because he's worth it".

Reply to
Richard

Did you miss the phrase "after work hours"?

What exactly does that mean?

Perhaps as a compromise, the boss could text the apprentice, and append to the message, "And don't forget I'm considerably richer than yow, you inferior, minimum-wage little serf."

Reply to
Big Les Wade

I saw this as an attitude thing, if an employee refuses to answer the phone outside work hours then why does the employer have to TEXT them outside hours.

I've no objection to my empolyer contacting me outside normal working hours if it's important. I could say that I'll only accept emails or calls or telegrams or letters.

That would seem sensible, perhaps the employee meant "I don't want to be phoned for anything, as I might be drinking, driving, having sex, at the same time so have no hands free, so please just TXT me if possible is that OK ?."

a reasonable employer would probbaly say OK or just say no that isn't possible and give a reason(s). In the same way an employee should be allowed to phone/email or TXT the employee if they can't make it in.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No. I would not be overly upset if my employer were to phone outside of work hours for something of importance. Obviously, should my employer be phoning often and needlessly, I would then point out that future calls will be seen as paid time.

Hmmm... I had just read the comment in the second Fredxx post "OK - I suppose it will net him an extra 2 hours pay" and responded to that erroneously in my post.

That could work, but is the boss a Brummie?

Reply to
Richard

The problem here is that some employers will take advantage of an employee being contactable after working hours. For 13 years I was phoned and emailed up to 10pm, 7 days per week. If I went anywhere my mobile went with me, as did a pen and notebook. The other guys turned their phone off when they finished work, apart from one who I think reads this group. I did not mind too much, but I never once got a thank you.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Why? He is not working or indeed able to gain access to work.

Reply to
ARW

They could return a missed call like normal people do.

BTW it's easy enough to check up if they are using their mobile on facebook when you call them.

How often do you think apprentices get called after work hours (their work hours not our work hours)?

Very seldom and 99% of those calls would be tell them there is a change of plan in the morning. You are not going to call them for technical advice or for a general chat out of work hours.

Reply to
ARW

I actually disable my work email and VOIP app on my phone when I go on an actual holiday. It's not so much they'll phone me, it's more I'll log in and have a heart attack about something...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or listen to any message left on voice mail.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Law of natural consequences

Reply to
bert

Waiting time counts as work time, as does travel time. It will depend on his contract, even so it can't be paid at less than minimum wage, or if the first year of a recognised apprenticeship, the appropriate hourly rate.

There have been some recent cases upholding this.

Either way, he wins, even if he waits he has up to 6 years to make a court claim.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Same here but it can work both ways.

One reason why I haven't a mobile. Not because of work but I don't always w ant to be contacted. Years ago they decided to supply some of teh 'more important staff' with fr ee mobiles paid for by the college. I didn't get one, and when they asled m e why I didn;t phone in late during a tube strike I said I couldn;t because e I didn;t have a mobile. They then aksed me why I didn;t have one and I sa id because I don't need one. But I said I'd accept a free one like other me mebers of staff have, and that was the last I heard of this great idea.

A good shceme was if both employees and the employer benifited from such a thing, but that requires though and planning so's unlikely ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Tha doesn't sound very likely, about as likely as students pulling a door w hich says pull to open rather than pushing it and walking off.

Perhaps, but my employer doesn't know my FB account well I don;t think the y do. I've never used it at work. And even if I were using it at 5:00am in teh mo rning I do NOT see that as an automatic right to be able to phone me at 5am just because I'm logged into FB, any more than they have a right to ring m y door bell at 3am because my bedroom light is on, which means I'm awake.

No idea.

As I said no, I'd need to know why you or anyone might need to call me outs ide normal working hours. My employer has my phone number and next of kin d etails. Because they said we'd need them in case of accidents.

Reply to
whisky-dave