OT: American toilets!

Hi all

We've just been in Canada and the USA. I was *greatly* impressed with their toilets! One little push of the little lever and a mighty whirlpool develops in the pan, which swooshes *everything* away, with virtually no noise. Every time.

Why do we have these noisy, complicated, unreliable efforts over here in the UK?

John

Reply to
Another John

Well... as much as I dislike the "Everything's better in the Yoo Ess" argument, I'm thinking that maybe it is and they've moved on from the Victorian era we appear to be stuck in.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Well, have you seen the size of a Yank's turd? You'd need something efficient to drown that deposit from a great fat arsed septic!

And talking about turds, why can't Bollock Obama stop describing the BP catastrophe as the worst environmental disaster? Can he not recall the 15000 dead after the OO-ESS-AY company Onion Carbide big time f**ked up. Well, it wasn't on their soil so it didn't matter. They were only Asians.

Sorry, a bad day.

Reply to
Grumps

Because one flush on a Yankeee mega-John can drain Lake Vyrnwy

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I believe US toilets have flushes directly connected to mains pressure water - something not permitted in the UK.

Reply to
dom

Victorian toilets did have proper Niagara flushes.

It's environmentally friendly water saving regulations that have killed them off.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I believe US toilets have flushes directly connected to mains pressure water - something not permitted in the UK.

...and strangely, very little privacy in the crapper - big gaps around the doors yet large privacy screens at the urinal (what happened to them here? I don't like having a pee next to a hand drier or washbasin. I like a bit of privacy -particularly when kids are in the toilet and seem to like to gawp.

Reply to
John

Come on . Don't be unreasonable. Surely you wouldn't expect a US company to pay real compensation or clean up any more than you would expect the US government to allow extradition of a US citizen to face trial.

Reply to
Invisible Man

but the old high level cisterns were far from quiet.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Really? Saniflo do one with mains flush.

Reply to
dennis

Fine, so they don't flush properly and require extra flushes. So much for saving water.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, f**king hopeless aren't they. Supposedly its to make it easier for them to be cleaned (the floors I mean), or cheaper, but I don't give a monkey's about that. Privacy is much more important.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We have bylaws that prevent all sorts of things related to stored water in case something happens and it gets back into the water mains. Other countries don't seem to have as many concerns.

I presume you're looking at a US jetflush pan. Some domestic versions fill an inverted tank, compressing air in the top, which is used to blow out the water when you flush. Commercial versions simply run from a suitable pressure/flow rate supply using a timed flush valve.

The jet is at the front of the U trap, and empties the pan by blasting a jet of water up the U-trap, carrying the pan contents (including the water) with it. I'm told they always clear the pan, but if the outlet is blocked, it shoots up in the air and out onto the floor ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Also less privacy for shooting up.

The ones I'm familiar with have nothing between the urinals, although they are quite well spaced. BTW, they're called modesty screens, but I always find they're too small for me ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" saying something like:

I know. Those of us with huge dongs have to stand well back from the wall.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The most common bit of plumbing in the USA:

John

In message , John writes

Better steer clear of germany then

There's quite often an old woman sitting at a table in the corner who cleans and collects your money with full view of your little old man

Reply to
geoff

You might get that impression staying in Hotels with an onsite plumber / handyman, however the usual ones seen therein do deteriorate consistently over 2-3 years having a large loose rubber flapper valve which eventually leaks and wastes water.

The toilet bowl is cunningly sized to accomodate exactly two cistern fulls + a turd and five sixteenths, so in normal circumstances the bowl can't overfill and spill onto the floor ... but if there is a blockage or flow restriction on the outlet all bets are off. An over enthusiastic housewife can, by power flushing the loo, have the bathroom flooded to a depth of 2"(inc. fudgy bits) before you can say "Homo Deluvi Testis" (The man who witnessed the flood).

AFAIR water appliances have over the years had to satisfy a plethora of water boards / councils all over the country. It could, IMHO, be that this has encouraged standardisation at the lowest common denominator level.

That's an opinion you can get from watching 1970's films (perhaps on daytime TV) where everybody lives in a literally palacial house with an 18 foot ceiling and drives an enormous V8 car, all in soft pastel colours and fuzzy soft focus. Totally bogus of course, like Disney, all chicken wire and papier mache.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

See John's (weedy pun) post about penal installations.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

one 100th of the land area and one fifth of the population.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher