OT - Amazon Prime

I got one of those as well.

I use one click ordering and it doesn't seem to have infected that.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 29/11/2014 11:21, "Nightjar

Reply to
polygonum

Oh shit, what a pillock! Well, partially so. The original keyboard had damage to one end of the box - looked as though it had already been opened there - so I used the same flap. Everything was there except the Unifying Receiver.

New keyboard turned up today in a pristine box. So I opened it by slitting the plastic seals and lifting the front tab. Turns out the Unifying Receiver is in the cardboard around the front tab in a dinky little pocket so you can only see it when the front tab is lifted - so on the previous one there was no sign of it but it might well still be there!

This could explain the 1* reviews (mine included) where people have said it arrived without the receiver.

Then again, the receiver may really be missing. I'll have to ask Schroedinger for advice.

Anyway, too late now as the return is scheduled and due for pick up tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I had a similar experience with a Luxo 'anglepoise' lamp. Quite expensive so I was a bit disappointed when it turned up without a bulb. Went out and bought one.

Disposing of box a few weeks later and I was flattening the box, first opening the other end. You guessed it - a neatly packaged bulb in a little pocket under the flap.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not always, IME - it depends which service the sender pays for. Most are van-trackable but I have had some that were not.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bloody typical! I's obviously cheaper to deliver a vanload to one place than to drive around all day so, unless the depository charges more than the carrier...

Reply to
PeterC

Same here with the anti-theft wheel nuts on my new Ibiza in 2011. No sign of a spanner, so I got them to change them to normal nuts. Months later I found the spanner in a little invisible pocket in the flap of the black floppy plastic tools pouch.

Reply to
Dave W

I think that is the case with the free trial, keeps you hooked and you might change your mind... Not so sure

You are joking, aren't you?. PITA Christmas, shops full of tat, shops full of the brain dead trying to decide which bit of tat to buy for Auntie Joan or would Cousin Sarah like it? Then the whole fing country shuts down(*) for two weeks and you can't get anything done.

Still the brain dead will most likely be contributing to my fee for working Boxing Day and New Years Day.

(*) Just look at gridwatch for the "Christmas Fortnight" 10 GW reduction in demand...

Check.

Sometimes there is an element of I need it tommorow.

I also tend to use supplied and/or fulfilled by Amazon but have used market place sellers but not without checking 'em out just as hard as I check an eBay seller.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago; I immediately poked around in the 'help' section to find out how to un-sign-up. It turned out there was no option except - as you say - to have the month's free trial and then have it lapse. Time will tell if it DOES lapse without me being charged.

I've quite liked the unexpected bonus of next-day deliveries, but can't see how Amazon can afford to give that away for a whole month.

There's a button somewhere at the foot of the screen that, during the checkout process, tries to get you to sign-up for Prime, which one has to click to skip the option. Until this went wrong I'd always managed to choose the right button to click. I suspect they've changed the position and/or wording on the button so that when people click what they think is the usual thing it signs them up rather than bypasses the offer. I plan to be more careful next time I navigate that screen.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Do you store your card no. on the site? I wonder if Amazon would do an auto-charge if so.

Reply to
PeterC

My last order of Senseo pods through Amazon came with a letter saying I would pay 15% less if I ordered direct from the vendor.

Reply to
Bob Martin

In message , PeterC writes

If you don't tell them you don' want to stop yes.

They won't charge if you choose the option to stop Prime when the trial ends.

I've signed up for Prime trials before and that has always been the case.

I have bought a few things over the last week in the lightening sales, I haven't suffered from this accidental sign up to Prime. Maybe because Prime had already been signed up for on this account (though not for soemtime)

Reply to
Chris French

Reply to
Huge

I must wander over and do the deed. Seems that, to some extent, it has disadvantages cf. 'normal' delivery and also one has to pay for the 'privilege'.

Reply to
PeterC

you buy prezzies for your cousins?

I don't even send mine birthday cards

tim

Reply to
tim.....

the same way all "free for 1/6 month" trials work

they expect you to forget to cancel

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Could be just my bad luck, but I started to get the feeling that they intentionally delaying items>£10 bought using their free delivery service.

Last three I bought were "ready for dispatch" for 6 days before finally arriving 7-8 days after ordering. Both were sent from the depot that is ~30 miles away, and I am on the fringe of a very large city, so no doubt daily (multiple) deliveries leaving my way.

I've been using them since 1997 (just checked...), but am finding myself regularly now looking elsewhere based on price and speed of delivery. Their after sale service is still very good though from my experience.

Reply to
JoeJoe

That is also my feeling. I'd not complain at all if things were delayed simply because they were at the end of the queue behind expressed items, but somehow intentional delay doesn't seem right.

Reply to
polygonum

No the brain dead, blocking an aisle of the supermarket whilst they dicuss some bit of tats suitabilty for Auntie Joan or Cousin Sarah.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I just came home and wondered why the letterbox flap wasn't sitting straight, turns out there was a scrunched-up Royal Mail missed delivery card in there, and my item had been sitting behind a flowerpot since Friday morning!

Reply to
Andy Burns