OT: Amazon packaging

I know they have a limited number of box sizes, but whoever packed this was completely daft.

GB

I wonder if there is a minimum package size for the courier.

And it would have to be a courier for lithium batteries.

They have a long way to go to beat CPC, anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I usually find Amazon quite good. For small/medium they seen to use those fold over cardboard envelopes which go through my letter box.

The packers at CPC seem to be having an internal competition - the smaller the item the larger the package.

Reply to
alan_m

And the more fragile the item, the more inadequate the packaging.

Reply to
Bob Eager

One of the more odd companies for packaging is CPC, You seem to usually get a large box full of inflated and sealed small polythene bags with the items in a little bag in the middle. I think they have to have shares in corrugated cardboard makers and bag makers. I often wonder what might happen if you filled the bags with laughing gas instead of air. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My problem with the fold over enveleop type is that frequently the end appears to have been opened to allow someone to peer in and check the contents, and see if they are worth stealing I have to suppose

But generally I find Amazon packaging excellent. (Whole family has Amazon items mailed to commercial premises we run so I see a lot of their packaging)

Reply to
fred

Unless I've misunderstood it, they'd pay more for postage as nitrous oxide is heavier than air.

Helium on the other hand is lighter. You'd see lots of CPC packages bobbing about like balloons inside the roof of the delivery van. Perhaps they'd come with a string to tie round your wrist.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Given the crisis in Helium sourcing, I'd hope it wasn't being wasted any more than absolutely necessary.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It seems that the larger sellers negotiate very generous weight limits with their shippers

I have just received a package from IKEA, via Parcelfarce (actual a painless delivery) that was 14.4 Kilo and came for the minimum charge of 7.50.

I doubt that if I took 14.4 Kilo to the PO I would get it shipped for 7.50.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Not quite as bad now as when I bought this hard disk...

Geo

I've had them rattling loose in a large box, with no packing at all apart from the anti-static bag.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , at 17:56:14 on Sun, 13 Nov

2016, GB remarked:

Last week they sent me a (small) pair of gloves packed just like that. Maybe they've run out of those cardboard envelop things.

Reply to
Roland Perry

This is what I got from Amazon:

As Monty Python might say..... "You were lucky. All my hard drive had to live in was a paper, er, jiffy bag".

Reply to
pamela