OT Amazon deliveries.

Robots rather than staff though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

no, staff as robots ...

Andy Burns

Only to those who wish to believe otherwise, or, to be generous, are not familiar with the latest legislation. The duty was introduced in the Companies Act 2006.

Section 172 of the Companies Act 2006 requires a director of a company to act in the way he considers would be most likely to promote the success of the company for the benefit of its members as a whole. It also requires directors to act in the interests of the creditors of the company. This, effectively, means that the directors have a statutory duty to run the business as profitably as possible.

Reply to
Nightjar

Depends on the country, but as a US company, the shareholders can sue the directors if they deliberately don't run it as profitably as possible.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If the Guvmint didn't waste so much money, people wouldn't mind paying taxes.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't have any shares in Amazon. Their business model appears to utilise the tax offsets for expansion investment as well as shunting profit to the lowest tax domicile. Other existing businesses may be disadvantaged by this activity so... yes:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:51:19 +0100, Nightjar Section 172 of the Companies Act 2006 requires a director of a company

Yep.

Up to a point, Mr O'Leary...

There's a very strong argument that "the interests of the creditors" and "the benefit of its members" are not _always_ best served by pushing for ultimate short-term profitability. Brand reputation, long-term growth, customer service - even corporate-social responsibility - could easily be argued to be worth trading off profit for whilst still fulfilling those goals.

Reply to
Adrian

It might be argued that those are admirable goals, but I would think that most shareholders would prefer short term (by which I mean 10 years or less) gains.

Reply to
Nightjar

Hah, but the price has often gone up again then.

is interesting to show just how much amazon move their pricing around...

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

That's still longer-term planning than most governments engage in (i.e. until the next election).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That was my understanding in the UK. During the Cadbury takeover, there was a lot of discussion about why it couldn't be stopped, or why the board couldn't reject the offer. My understanding was if the board did reject an offer which could have made money for the shareholders, then the shareholders would have grounds to sue.

Bearing in mind the shareholders aren't little old ladies who keep cats, but huge pension funds who have an obligation to *their* investors.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think it's more to do with whether it makes up a full van/lorry.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 2014-08-12, Nightjar

Reply to
Huge

You really *are* a moron, aren't you?

Reply to
Huge

/ > Duh. It isnt even possible to make what they are doing illegal.

You really *are* a moron, aren't you?/q

Pots & kettles......

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In message , Huge writes

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Reply to
charles

Reply to
Nightjar

In article , D.M.Chapman writes

Very interesting site thank you.

Using an outdoor lamp example from a recent thread gives:

(lowest price £10 below current)

Even more interesting when 3rd party price box is ticked (current 3rd party price 15quid cheaper, highest price 5quid less than Amazon's cheapest and lowest price 15quid cheaper than Amazon's lowest).

Reply to
fred

Any future Scottish government will probably hand out grants to cuckoo clock manufacturers to stimulate a 'Liechtenstein-style' economy.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog