OT: Am I missing something?

Saw some ads for this new product on TV last night.

" Hands may come into contact with millions of germs every day. But have you ever thought about those germs ending up on your soap pump? Fact: Your soap pump can harbour hundreds of bacteria".

Errm. The only time I would touch a soap pump - is when I was going to wash my hands?

Or am I missing something here?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

FEAR!!!!!!

I like the one about your toilet rimblock cage harbouring germs. So, those blocks aren't much good then.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Exactly what my missus said. There's also the fact that most people have to touch a tap to wash the crap off again! It's pathetic paranoia-inducing sales bollocks, obviously, and bloody annoying. If there were no bacteria we'd all be up to our eyeballs in dead things.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Yes - but them's decoy bacteria.

The baddies are creeping up your leg wearing disguises, whilst others hide your keys down the sofa.

Reply to
dom

Similarly, on the toilet door of an NHS site I work at is a notice "Think how many people touch this door handle".

What is meant to be your reaction to this? Assuming you have just washed your hands, you can't do anything about anyone else who hasn't washed theirs, and you can't open the door without pulling the handle anyway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm with you on this one.

What makes me laugh is that Tesco have been taken in by those offering a similar product for use in supermarket toilets. In an average week, I probably visit somewhere between 10 and 15 Tesco supermarkets and have noted that the battery-powered automatic soap dispensers are out of action about a third of the time.

When this happens, Tesco usually puts out a couple of Value soap dispensers that you have to touch to obtain soap. D'oh!

Tesco do seem particularly gullible. Another Tesco quirk is replacing perfectly good, reliable "World Dryer" hand driers with expensive, unreliable "Excelerator" driers that take twice as long to dry your hands and generate noise levels that must be way beyond safe.

Reply to
Bruce

Quiet agree just playing on the ignorant.

If there were no bacteria we would be in the heap of dead things, we

*need* them to live. Of the billions of different bacteria out there just a few can have nasty effects, they that's what we have immune systems for. We seem to have survived as a species for the last several hundred thousand years without soaps and disinfectants...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Exactly. And I do not end up in hospital on a life support machine after r****ng a bird.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It also has a stealth mode. Leave it (as most people would) near your sink and if the sun shines on it then every time a shadow or cloud passes over it gurgles happily and dispenses a glob of soap.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Don't you find the feathers get stuck in your teeth?

;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used to work with someone who, invariably, when she came in to the office would chuck a few sheets of (clean) toilet paper in her office bin as she sat down at her desk. Apparently it was due to door handle phobia (in particular toilets, but not exclusively). She would surreptitiously open every door around the building using said bit of bog roll before reaching her desk.

Furthermore, post-bird flu/pig flu/whatever flu there are a hell of a lot of people these days who go around with a tube or spray of personal disinfectant in their pockets, which they use to clean their hands regularly throughout the day.

(I'm not one of them BTW)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Exactly, and furthermore...

...beg pardon?

:o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You didn't work in North Manchester General Hospital or one of Trafford's Community Mental Health teams did you?

My wife is disgusted with the number of staff that leave the toilets without washing their hands at all. She always washes her hands and then uses a piece of towel to open each door back to her office for this very reason.

I have often thought that toilet exit doors should either be automatic or open outwards, so that you can exit without using your hands, for this very reason.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't know about safe, but my children will not use them thanks to the noise, so they have to exit with wet hands. The worst of these designs (so loud that I found it uncomfortable myself) was in use in the toilets of Chester Zoo - just what you need at an attraction that's strongly aimed at children!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , Bruce writes

Do they have a little label "For Your Convenience" on them too ?

Reply to
geoff

Hmm. I resemble that remark ... and as long as there are anywhere between 25 and 50% of people who don't wash their hands after using the toilet, I will continue to.

I always carry antiseptic hand gel in the car, and in my briefcase/camera/laptop bag, but not in my pocket.

Reply to
Bruce

Hot air driers blow all sorts of nasties around. I /never/ use them.

If no suitably clean drying material is available I let my hands drip dry. It doesn't take long with body heat.

Reply to
<me9

Your postings really should carry a "Spilt Coffee" warning. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Now that brought a smile......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Nah, that's largely another myth put about by paper towel manufacturers.

Dave Osborne