OT: Airport security question

En el artículo , Clive George escribió:

I didn't carry batteries, except when fitted in laptops, tablets, phones, etc. But occasionally had to ship a large quantity of lead-acid UPS replacement batteries to a remote site. We'd previously had to send them by sea but then I discovered that the battery maker's MSDS (materials safety data sheet) now stated that they were approved by the American DOT for air transport, and they fell under an IATA exemption for transportation of dangerous goods.

It took quite some persuading but eventually I was allowed to ship them by air from a UK airport subject to a number of conditions (one being that they had to be in the original manufacturer's shipping carton with their seal intact and a copy of the MSDS attached), the permission of the captain of the aircraft they were loaded onto, and I had to travel with them.

That last one made me smile.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Syd Rumpo escribió:

I use a small cable tie. It keeps the bag secure from casual pilferers at less salubrious airports and yet is easy for the inspectors to remove.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You can buy TSA approved padlocks. They can be opened by the security staff using a key that is identified by a code on each lock.

Reply to
Nightjar

Or anyone else ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , jim escribió:

They'd have to carry something to cut it with, and baggage handlers have to go through the same security as the great unwashed, i.e. no scissors or cutters.

Surreptitiously undoing an unlocked zipper and sticking your hand in to see what can be grabbed is easy, whereas cutting a tie needs you to stop and use a tool.

There's that assurance too.

For the cost of a tie, it's a no-brainer IMO.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I suppose the point is that a casual pilferer wouldn't just happen to have a pair of snips in his pocket. And even if he has, getting them out, cutting, putting away again all reduces the probably small time the pilf has to operate in.

And if caught, it's obvious what he's doing. Whereas an unlocked case, it's: oh dear the lid sprang open, I'm just trying to put it all back. And who's to say different.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What do you use to cut the cable tie - eg if asked to open your case at the airport for a security check?

Reply to
Robin

En el artículo , Robin escribió:

They have tools to do it. They're used to it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Or, more accurately, anybody who has a set of those keys and who can get into the baggage area without setting off the metal detectors.

Reply to
Nightjar

OK. I asked 'cos when I've had to open my case they've insisted that

*I* do it. But that was some years ago.

If I'm allowed a follow-up, how do you open it on arrival - rely on the check-in desk having a knife?

Reply to
Robin

En el artículo , Robin escribió:

I've never been asked by check-in to open my *hold* baggage. Not even when I've told them it contains electronic equipment, parts, wires, tools, motors, etc. and they've asked me to put it through the special objects pre-screening X-ray machine. Stuff that goes through there gets a serious level of scrutiny by the machine operator, but I've never been asked to open it. Having a list of the contents taped to the top may help.

Carry-on is scanned at security. I don't lock those, and in literally thousands of air journeys can count the number of times security has asked to look in my carry-on baggage on the fingers of an Irani thief.

On one occasion they noticed a bunch of coiled-up mains cables in my bag and put it through the machine again, then pointed at the screen and asked what they were, but accepted my explanation and didn't look in the bag.

I've been asked to take off my shoes for scanning exactly once.

Being a frequent flyer, relaxed and well prepped for security (i.e. not looking nervous or as if I have something to hide), and not having the wrong shade of skin or a funny beard or hat, or a copy of the Koran secreted about my person, or carrying a black fizzing sphere labelled "BEURMB" probably counts for a lot.

YMMV.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I have.

[19 lines snipped]

Quite. (And ditto.)

Reply to
Huge

they wouldn't need to smuggle them in every time, just the once and they could the be left airside somewhere. the people who work there must have some "personal" area.

And presumably they are allowed to take their house/car keys in with them, just add one key into the bundle each day and very soon you have the whole set inside

tim

Reply to
tim...

Neither have I, but I have twice recently been surprised to find a 'Notice of Baggage Inspection' from the 'Transportation Security Administration' (USA) in my hold luggage when I later opened it.

There was various electronics stuff in there, but I couldn't have told that it had been opened had I not seen the notice.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

No security system is foolproof and it is easy to think up holes that might exist in ones we don't know anything about. However, if I were setting up the security, personal lockers would be before the security checks, not after them.

Reply to
Nightjar

Rather than separately carry the clear plastic bag containing an alcoholic duty free drink we put it in the small carry-on suitcase. No problems at Jakarta but we had to empty the suitcase on transfer at Dubai.

I suppose liquids are deemed more dangerous than electronics.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I remember departing from Damascus airport. No luggage checks but it was all piled on the runway beside the plane. Everybody had to pick out their luggage and then they and it were put on the plane. Anything not identified was just left there. Don't suppose that would work with suicide bombers.

Reply to
harry

A TSA certified combination lock gets round that. Security have appropriate keys so don't need to do any damage.

They will never admit this, but I've found it all depends on how you look and what you wear as an individual rather than what you're taking. I've taken the most outrageous things through in hand-luggage that would result in an armed squad being called in if I looked the least bit dusky or dressed in any way unconventionally. In fact since I fly a lot I've experimented out of idle curiosity and discovered that if I dress a certain way and carry myself in a certain way I will just get waived through security with ZERO checks at all. But before you ask - I'm *not* giving that info out for obvious reasons. Basically, whilst the official policy is that they don't target specific groups based on appearance nor whitelist others for the same reason, that is precisely what they in reality do - and thank f*ck they do, too. A little bit of common sense still prevails, it seems.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Fastest time through customs ever was the monday after I was whisked off to A & E because I lit a bonfire with petrol...covered in artificial skin I looked like something out a cheap horror film.

I could have taken anything through.,..

There was a chap who used to deal amphetamines. He was a wheelchair paraplegic having wrecked himself on his scooter after rather too many 'purple hearts' on a Friday night, and he kept the pills right next to his 'day' bag.

He never got searched.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher