OT Aircraft pix

Every militry aircraft you heard of and then some.

Reply to
harryagain

A long way short of every military aircraft I've heard of and not even every American military aircraft, although possibly all that went into full production.

Reply to
Nightjar

Nightjar scribbled

Last chance to get to see a flying Vulcan this year

Jonno

I don't see a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter there. First fighter with a synchronised machine gun, and all that.

Seriously, what a magnificent collection. It's got me thinking about a small detour during my summer trip. Or even putting it at the centre of another trip later. Thanks for that, Harry.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

By no means every one, but perhaps one or two I hadn't heard of.

An impressive collection nonetheless, and excellent photos.

Reply to
Ramsman

Coming here to Herne Bay! With a number of other nice planes...

Reply to
Bob Eager

As an aside, did anybody see the episode of Home Fires last Sunday? The opening scenes included two Lancasters flying overhead; in September

1939, more than 18 months before the first prototype flew. Presumably their budget didn't run to CGI generated Hampdens or Wellingtons or, if they wanted a four engine bomber, Stirlings.
Reply to
Nightjar

On 21/05/2015 15:11, Nightjar

I did see the opening sequence and commented on it at the time. The Radio Times even wrote about Lancasters flying over in November 1939.

Although the Stirling first flew in May 1939, it didn't enter service until January 1941, so that would have been unlikely. Most people these days would probably only have heard of the Lancaster anyway.

I watched the first episode, but it looked as though it was going to be all stereotypes and clichés, so I'm letting SWMBO watch it on her own.

Reply to
Ramsman

Unlikely, but, unlike the Lancaster, not impossible. The story line has a pilot training base in the area, which could explain a not yet operational aircraft being flown.

Not even the Wimpy?

Like any period drama, the writer is going to put their own slant on the period. In this case it appears mostly to be about the effect on families of war. However, the characters seem quite believable, even if there are a few anachronisms, such as the Lancasters.

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , Nightjar writes

I watched a fairly interesting programme on the Lancaster on iplayer the other day. Nothing new, but some nice human interest stuff. they managed to rustle up a crew (not a whole original crew obviously) of WW2 crew, which isn't going to happen much more.

ng-past

though originally shown last summer

Reply to
Chris French

Detour now organised and visit booked for August 10th.

Originally I was going to go directly between Chicago and Toronto but now I'm spending a day in Dayton OH en route so that I can tour the museum.

If anyone reading this is going to be in the neighbourhood that day, I'd be delighted to meet up and go around the exhibits together and/or share a beer or a coffee or a meal. Just let me know.

Thanks again, Harryagain.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It's huge.

It's amazing.

By the time I reached Hangar 3 I knew I wasn't going to be able to do justice to all of it in one day so my tip would be to plan for at least two days or, as I'm going to have to, be prepared to come back another time to see the rest of it.

It's open 9-5 every day and if, like most people, you are in a car you just drive in.

If, like me, you blew in by Greyhound Bus, you will actually have arrived at the Dayton Transit North-West Hub in Trotwood. Buy a Dayton Transit Day Pass for just USD5 from the driver of the No.8 bus and head for the downtown transit hub at Wright Plaza where you will find the No.11 bus to take you within a thirty-minute walk of Wright-Patterson AFB where the museum is located. Or take a taxi for the six-mile ride from the city centre.

It is staffed in the main by ex-USAF retirees who are passionate about the project and many of the visitors are retired from the forces too. If all these aircraft don't move you, the sight of elderly folk greeting each other after many years apart or talking in hushed tones to their grandchildren about how it used to be, certainly will.

Highly recommended.

And thanks again for the original tip, Harry.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell