OT: Aerials on substations

Yes. The radio waves still travel at the same speed, but the bandwidth available, and hence the possible speed of data transmission, varies inversely with the signal strength.

Reply to
John Williamson

Sorry, that should read "Varies directly with the signal strength" In other words, the stronger the signal, the faster you can transmit data, be it digital or analogue.

Reply to
John Williamson

Is half a cycle a unicycle?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well of course. That's why FM and DAB are always out of sync, because the FM transmitters are stronger.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's what I was trying to explain.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

:)

It's all to do with the design of the breakers. By using very high contact pressure they can keep the moving contact mass down, so that it can be moved very quickly (by soddin' big springs) indeed. The idea is to open the contact so fast that the fault current hasn't got time to reach it's full value. They *have* to open the contacts very fast otherwise, in some cases, the fault current will either weld them shut or blow them to bits. In some circuit breaker designs the magnetic field caused by the fault current is used to help push the contacts open. All clever stuff. :)

Reply to
mick

10 mS to repair a fault wooooo... B-)

No uni is one. Half is hemi (greek), demi (latin), or semi (french) so it would be a hemicycle or demicycle or semicycle

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can see how the encoding can be encrypted to defy an attack from the outside, but what is to stop wholesale jamming of these safety critical signals?

Reply to
Graham.

on 31/03/2014, Brian Gaff supposed :

You would maybe need to be on the beam of the antenna to be able to hear it at all.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No its due to signal prrocessing delays.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Reply to
Graham.

If there's a long yagi at both ends the power into the tx will be low.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You don't say.

Sorry, I just realised this is the DIY group. My joke would have worked better elsewhere.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I thought fast opening was also related to killing the arc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not most of the time. I do have attenuators to check for this sort of thing. The Icom device is well respected for lack of spurii and good overload margins.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I'll send in the Pigeons to get it to move and fall to bits. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I could get a simple vcr to transmit down the garden quite well withtwo yagis. I'm sure that power is pretty minimal.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wonder how small amount of a cycle you need to work out frequency. Pass the Pi. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So what is a Nanocycle? Is there a picocycle as well? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pretty obvious really, as what do you do if you want to get a better signal to noise? You narrow down the bandwidth of the receiver, but that loses you the high frequencies of course.

What has always confused me is carrier based morse code. It is simple and low bandwidth, yet in theory any fast change from nothing to something should have an infinite bandwidth, ie the leading edge of a square wave, which is rich in harmonics. So although one can sometimes hear the key click outside the bandwidth if the signal os strong, generally the bandwidth is still low. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff