OT advice please if possible on Shirt wearing.

Hi all, hope this is not too off topic, but I do see sensible answers here.

I am a 60 year old male divorced and living alone 4 years.

I have been trying and lost 2 1/2 stone in weight.

I am due to do a reading at my sisters funeral tomorrow (Thursday)

I have dug out white shirts that fitted me a few years ago.

Would it be in bad taste to wear a dress type white shirt with a slightly fancy but white front panel that is a good fit? or should I find or buy one that is a simple plain white shirt?

Thanks, Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

A white dress shirt with a black tie would be perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I'm sorry to hear about that.

In the situation, I would think about what your sister would have wanted. Was she the kind of person who would have expected you to wear a white or dress shirt and black tie etc. or was she more informal than that?

Otherwise the important thing is the feelings of the immediate family

- you don't need to put on a show for the other attendees or the person conducting the service.

My feeling is that a funeral should be a celebration of the person's life, not a need to dress up in the kind of clothes that are normally out of place for them or the other family members.

I've been to a number of family funerals in the past few years where people have worn their normal clothes - whatever makes them feel comfortable. That doesn't mean showing up in a psychedelic teeshirt that will offend everybody, but I don't see a reason to not wear any shirt that you are comfortable with or even smart casual.

That's me though. I would simply say do whatever makes you feel comfortable and don't worry too much about what other people think.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But he is, in a sense, [one of] the person[s] conducting the service, which is why he is worried about it.

I would (and have in similar circumstances) buy a cheap plain white shirt from Tesco's just for the occasion. It will look smart enough at first outing.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

If you have a plain white shirt is simply too tight to button up, slit it up the back to about half way. It's unlikely to be any use later anyway. Assuming you're not going to take your jacket etc off.

Of course if the collar is too tight there's not much you can do about that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If he has lost weight his shirts would presumably now be too large.

Reply to
PJ

Oh dear. I read it as trying *to* lose 2 1/2 stone....

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi Mick, my condolences. If you buy a new white shirt from M+S or Tesco it will attract no comment whatsoever. If you wear your dress shirt it may attract comment. My inclination would be to play safe, especially as it was your sister and you will be the centre of attention. Regards Bob

Reply to
robert

What do you do if yellow boots are too tight?

Reply to
IMM

Dunno. Why didn't you buy them in the correct size?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Bob and all for the advice. I did buy a new shirt (and ironed it) the service went well, she used to sing in the choir, and there was a good turnout that made all the difference. Thanks again, Mick.

Reply to
Mick.