OT: Additional works

Quite the opposite of DIY but I hope someone can advise. My sister's having new windows - 10 grand's worth, top spec eco-somethings, her husband's an environmental scientist and claims knowledge of such things.

Anyway, he's away and she's run into a spot of bother. The fitters have said they've found wet rot, and want an additional £1600 to remedy before they can proceed, and they seem intent on proceeding, otherwise my sister will be left with a half finished job and a building site and a hazy future date when they can come back.

I wasn't quite sure what to advise - is this a rock/hard place and she'll just have to pay?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Wet rot in *what*? Don't the windows fix to brickwork?

What does the contract say? Did her husband arrange for the windows to be fitted? If so, can't she contact him even though he's away?

Reply to
Roger Mills

If they have found wet rot, it will need to be rectified before they can proceed and the price does not sound excessive to me.

What I would want to know is whether they have identified and will be correcting the cause. The chances are that it is due to poor maintenance and replacing the frame will cure the problem. However, sometimes it can be a lot more complicated than rain getting in through deteriorating paint.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If they're reusing any of the timber frames, I'd object to what's being done, and stop work till it was clarified that the timber frames would all get removed. If its a rotten timber lintel, it would need doing, but I'd want to see the lintel to confirm the claim, then I'd get someone else in to do it for far less than =A31600, unless it was a massive lintel.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I was going to say that!

Reply to
newshound

Well, in our house, plenty - the upstairs is a wooden frame with ply then tiles and plasterboard on the inside. The subframes are screwed to the studding, in effect.

Reply to
Skipweasel