OT accurate time checks?

Tomtoms rely on it to get the local time. The sats broadcast in UTC. There is an option to sync the local time to the sat time in the menus somewhere but it doesn't change the hours AFAIK. Satnavs only really need the local time to work out the likely traffic conditions.

However it still will want you to set the local time.

Reply to
dennis

on 22/08/2012, dennis@home supposed :

My WinCE satnav come ICE system just needs you to tell it which time band you are in, then sets the clock from RDS or maybe satnav.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You won't find much delay in the telephone network due to sampling.

You get delays when its being encoded and/or compressed like on mobile phones or VoIP.

The telephone system uses a straight 8KHz sample rate with no additional delays due to correction or compression.

The thing that will slow it down is bitstream D/A convertors if someone uses them because they are cheaper than the alternative ladder convertors. But only by a few milliseconds.

Reply to
dennis

What's not accurate? The first bong or the last? I wonder how many set it to the last?

Reply to
dennis

Wow, he's got it correct. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

Mark formulated the question :

But you can configure it to use any server you like and using that VB script which posted earlier, you can set it to get the internet time has frequently as you want.

Just save the text below between the lines as 'Alter XP Timesync Interval.vbs', then click on it. To have it set the time more frequently than one hour, just type in a decimal fraction. For instance

30 minutes = 0.5

__________________________________________________ 'xp_time_sync.vbs - Change the Internet Time Update Interval '© Doug Knox - revised - 5/10/2002 'This code may be freely distributed/modified 'Downloaded from

'Thanks to Gregory Phillips for catching an error when clicking Cancel.

Option Explicit On Error Resume Next

'Declare variables Dim WSHShell, p1, p2, cn, newtime, mycheck, ev, X, Y

'Set the Windows Script Host Shell and assign values to variables Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

p1 = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\UpdateInterval" p2 = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient\SpecialPollInterval"

'This section writes the correct values to the Registry

ev = WSHShell.RegRead(p2) ev = ev / 3600

cn = ""

Do While IsNumeric(CN) = False

cn = InputBox("Enter the number of hours"& vbCR & "between Internet Time updates" & vbCR & vbCR & "The current Setting in hours is: " & ev & vbCR & vbCR & "The default value is 168 hours (7 days).","Value Entry","24")

If IsNumeric(cn) = False Then MsgBox "Please enter a number!",4096,"Error!" End If

If cn = "" Then Exit Do End If

Loop

If cn "" AND cn > 0 Then

X = InStr(cn,".") cn = Left(cn,X+2)

newtime = cn * 3600 WSHShell.RegWrite p1, newtime, "REG_DWORD" WSHShell.RegWrite p2, newtime, "REG_DWORD" MsgBox "The Internet Time update interval has been changed." & vbCR & "Reboot your computer for the change to take effect.",4096,"Finished"

Else

If cn = "" Then MsgBox "The Internet Time update interval has NOT been changed.",4096,"Cancelled" Elseif cn

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's how I do it. A decent drummer could do better.

Reply to
John Williamson

My WinCE satnav cum phone not only knows which time zone it's in, it will tell you your ETA as a local time at the destination.

It will also set the PDA part of the system's time to either GPS time corrected for timezone, or take the time from the network whenever I synchronise the diary, at my option.

Reply to
John Williamson

I know that. That's why I wrote "Radio 4 pips *on FM*".

Reply to
John Williamson

I am surprised at that because sampling at audio rates needn't introduce more than a sample period delay.

They must be buffering or compressing somewhere rather than sending the full bandwidth stream.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

you cannot afford to let the ADC take milliseconds. because there is a new sample coming in - you would have to sample and hold multiple samples if you had slower ADCs

Once more you display real ignorance of the subject you say you had a profession in...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dennis@home expressed precisely :

Big Ben is a large old mechanical clock, which needs constant adjustment to keep it roughly correct, but I think the main issue is the digital processing which delays the signal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Digital radio sends a multiplexed, compressed stream, as does digital TV. So, yes, it's buffered and compressed. Then buffered again when it's decompressed, as the playback device needs the entire compressed frame before it can send the numbers to the output buffer. Digital TV sets have to compensate for the differing processing delays in audio and video streams, which is one reason why lipsync is so easily lost in today's digital video world.

Reply to
John Williamson

--snip--

You don't need VB scripts. You can configure it to check frequently just changing registry values.

Reply to
Mark

The other morning, my "Rugby" alarm clock was about 6 minutes out. I was listening to the radio and used to seeing the pips and seconds on the clock synchronised. Since the clock cannot have drifted that far in 24 hours, I'm guessing it must have misread the Rugby time signal. I switched the sync off and then back on, and it corrected the time within a few minutes ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I can't. It's been mentioned on Opera forums but nothing conclusive was posted.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks for all the replies, I just wondered. Well now I know. ;-)

Reply to
Moonraker

Mark pretended :

Of course, but a VB script does it all for you - and much quicker too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

sm_jamieson formulated on Wednesday :

It carries a checksum, so both the data and the checksum must have been corrupted enough to match each other, or the more likely explanation the clock had simply failed to manage a sync for several days.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)