[OT] Accumulated electrical 'stuff'

Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going through a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which contain computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables, telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty years and will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we probably dumped years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that are for jobs I've forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they belong to and will never use again. A cupboard containing two printers, six desk tops and a lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the following week.

Reply to
News

That makes two of us!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Just in case it's useful, one day.

So don't dump it, surely you have a loft, atic, basement, cellar, under the stairs, shed or two, maybe there's space under the bed. you know that if you throw it you'll need it, so don't throw it :-D simples.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Three of us.

Reply to
S Viemeister

On 30 Jul 2015, S Viemeister grunted:

ALL of us

Reply to
Lobster

On 30 Jul 2015, S Viemeister grunted:

ALL of us

Reply to
Lobster

We probably all appreciate the quality of the item and the value we put on it when new. I remember dismantling some old stereo items to admire the innards before binning them. The only thing I don't miss from way back are the old 5 pin DIN plugs.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes, I need a psu for a Sonus 1 by pure, the lead on the existing supply, a retasked Oric Atmos psu, has fractured internally. The problem is most wall warts seem to now be switch mode and crap causing interference and spazmodic resets of anything run off of them. I need a printer switch of the old centronics kind. I put one in a safe place, now I have no idea where it is... Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I recently decided to replace the lounge hi fi units. Quite a good idea until I found out that it is nearly impossible to find an amplifier with two separate outputs, or enough inputs. Very glad I didn't bin it first!

Reply to
Capitol

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Are you sure? I do have some :-)

Reply to
News

A few weeks back I filled up the boot and back seat of my car with computer/electrical appliances that 'may come in handy' but have never had power applied since they were retired. My local council tip is currently recycling them - into landfill.

Reply to
alan_m

I have 4 desktops, 3 lap tops, 3 printers, 4 monitors, about 5 modems and a bin full of bits in the loft. One of the lap tops is Windows '95 but it still works. Oh, and a load of floppies.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Three.

Reply to
Huge

:-)

I've had two clear-outs in the past 20 years, with a remit of reducing anything that hasn't been used for a few years to one small box-full.

The first clearout I advertised on Freecycle. It went, and while the recipients seemed pleased (told me it was for school kids' projects), it was some hassle.

This time I phoned the local scrappy. Unfortunately, it was gone by the time they got here (a few hours). 6 or 7 rubble sacks full.

Reply to
RJH

Hah, I might just as well put the mattress on top of the boxes as use a bed-stead.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , whisky-dave writes

Full

Same as loft

Neither, but you missed garage (full)

full

Both full

That's where the old magazines live

The depressing thing is that I don't throw it, but I can't find it.

I've been looking for 2 days for the laptop with the missing 's' key to load Windows 10 on, and I still can't think where I could have put it.

Reply to
Bill

I still have the Quad 33/303. So I have DIN plugs!

Reply to
Bob Eager

News wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk:

My attempts to solder them usually failed after a short time. Leads were not as flexible back then.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Overlord of the Stuffed Attic

If it moves, I'll keep it.. If it stands still, I'll keep it.. If I want it, it's up there somewhere... If I've not yet used it, it's not been kept long enough...

It's not complete units that get reused, they by definition are obsolete otherwise they'd still be doing what they where doing orginally. It's the small stuff, off cuts of pipe/conduit/wire etc that are suddenly required late on a Sunday. But one has to be strict about what is a "useful" size for an offcut, I tend to draw the line at less than about 18".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Lobster writes

I used to collect all that stuff..

But I've got much better at just getting rid of stuff. Had various clear outs over the last couple of years and got rid of lots accumulated stuff. Felt much better having done so.

Will I want it in future, possibly, but almost certainly not (and I'll not find it if I do) If I do I can probably pick something up free or cheap anyway.

DD2 decided she wanted to make 'space ship' and wanted old electrical stuff with buttons and knobs etc for controls Rummaged out a few things, but she wanted some more stuff. A quick shout on a local freecycle group and I had more old tat than I could ever want. She'll get fed up with it all at some point, but then it'll just go to the tip

Reply to
Chris French